DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with aftermarket power steering pumps? I think the leak is coming from the pump itself (not absolutely sure on this, going to get under there after work today) and the dealer wants about 3x the price of the kragen/pep boys price. I wanted to see if anyone can share any positive/negative experiences before I order one way or the other. Another thought is a junkyard pull...

Pertinent info: 2002 Dodge Intrepid, 2.7
The power steering pump is moaning unless I add fluid to it. Over time, the speed of the leak has increased to the point that it doesn't get through a whole day before I start losing power steering at points while driving.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
Never an issue with aftermarket pumps. You have to r&r the pulley which can be difficult. Best thing to do is get a new pulley, many times they will not come off the old pump.

I would check and make sure its not the reservoir or lines first, its more common for them to leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, I knew the reservoir was separate but not the pulley, good thing to know, thanks. going to check the hoses and reservoir later today, doesn't help that I spilled fluid last week refilling it, but I'll figure it out. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so further inspection and removal of the air intake reveals the leak appears to be coming from the steering rack, from inside the boot in the middle. Now I was just reading that the '02 intrepid should be using ATF-4. I've been using power steering fluid, and the cap on the reservoir says use power steering fluid. About a month ago I did the turkey baster fluid change and I'm wondering if this is causing the leak...

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
ATF+4 is now the correct fluid for all 2nd gen LH cars and should have been the factory fill in an '02 according to the TSB announcing the change. (Perhaps it was a mid-year change in '02?) You're saying that when you did the fluid change, you didn't use that? That could have caused it. Even before ATF+4 was specified, there was a particular Chrysler fluid specified, not just generic p.s. fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
OK, so further inspection and removal of the air intake reveals the leak appears to be coming from the steering rack, from inside the boot in the middle. Now I was just reading that the '02 intrepid should be using ATF-4. I've been using power steering fluid, and the cap on the reservoir says use power steering fluid. About a month ago I did the turkey baster fluid change and I'm wondering if this is causing the leak...
I'm not sure what the difference is between generic power steering fluid and ATF-4, but I'd start with a complete fluid change to ATF-4. Start with the baster to get the bulk of the fluid out of the reservoir and then disconnect the cooling line at the bumper to get more out.

It's possible that a change wouldn't "fix" the problem and that the rack just needs to be replaced...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This being the case, you think they'd put something other then "use approved power steering fluid" on the cap. They've got labels for the AC charge and other things...either way, I'm off to try the ATF4 after a drain. I'll be sure to let you guys know, be intresting to find out either way

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
This being the case, you think they'd put something other then "use approved power steering fluid" on the cap...
That's just their way of saving having to change labels in general in case new fluids come out - makes the factory's life easier, and saves them money over the years - only one label to design and inventory and keep track of correct application to make one-size-fits-all labels like that.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, they weren't able to be as generic on the fuse labeling in the PDC. In fact, they changed wiring and fuse functions in '02*, but the fuse labeling on the PDC cover wasn't changed (molded into the plastic), and therefore is incorrect if you have '02 or later LH car.

*TCM was combined with PCM. Lots of people have mistakenly thought they were resetting their TCM by pulling Fuse Q according to the PDC cover labeling, when in fact they have to pull the PCM fuse, Fuse N (or alternatlively Fuse W, which didn't exist in earlier years) to reset the PCM and all the functions that used to be in the TCM.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
This being the case, you think they'd put something other then "use approved power steering fluid" on the cap. They've got labels for the AC charge and other things...either way, I'm off to try the ATF4 after a drain. I'll be sure to let you guys know, be intresting to find out either way
If youve got that bad of a leak, changing the fluid back to atf4 isnt going to fix it. Rack replacement is the only option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If youve got that bad of a leak, changing the fluid back to atf4 isnt going to fix it. Rack replacement is the only option.
True to form, the fluid leak slowed significantly, then resumed it's rapid pace about 3 days later. Had it changed out by a shop as I was too lazy to do it myself. Good thing I checked after the shop turned the car over to me, they had busted a couple hoses and they took care of them on the spot.
Now, no leak, and I learned not to put power steering fluid in a power steering pump.:wacko:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.