DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may have been touched on already, so I apologize if this seems repetitive.

My 99 ES driver side window is all jacked up. When I roll it up, about half-way up, its like the window jumps off track and shoot outwards; away from the door.

In order for me to roll it up, I have to hold the window in position. Needless to say, I have been avoiding the use of it altogether. It is just becoming very cumbersome having it the way it is. Plus, its a bit trashy, IMO, to keep it like this.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is it something that can easily be done on one's own?

Thanks team!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I believe there are plastic clips that retain the glass in the window regulator (roll-formed/swept steel c-channel). They can be replaced fairly easy once you pull the door inerts apart. I'd say medium difficulty level. If you have a mechanical bias, you can probably handle it... I'd recommend flipping through the FSM to prep yourself though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey,

I had the same problem with my car. Both front windows would do that and finally the windows slipped off their plastic clips. I just asked my mechanic to replace the crappy plastic ones with fabbed metal ones. it cost about $100 bucks to get both windows done but it's perfectly fine now and there's no risk of the clips breaking off again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! Good Rep for all!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, it wasn't the fuses...darn!!! I swapped out the 20amp one for the windows with another 20amp that I knew was working, and no go. (this was in the fuse box inside the car, drivers side)

So, I guess the motors on the passenger side has simply frozen...? Since its usually just me in the Trep, I guess it makes sense.

Oh what fun this will be fixing. Anyone had to fix the lock motors before?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Titleist said:
well, it wasn't the fuses...darn!!! ....

So, I guess the motors on the passenger side has simply frozen...? Since its usually just me in the Trep, I guess it makes sense.

Oh what fun this will be fixing. Anyone had to fix the lock motors before?
OK, I'm confused...we started w/ drivers window, now you talk about passenger window and then ask about the lock motor???

SOO.. don't take this the wrong way, but what ARE you trying to fix / find out about??

Problems w/ power windows are usually related to bad switches when dealing w/ 2G Treps, not locked motors.

Lock motors (actuators in dealer-speak) are a fairly common problem w/ these also... they usually strip the gear and start "squealing". I've replaced 6 of them over the last few years. Wish somebody made a "better" replacement, but there are no "direct fit" available except thru dealer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aw shnizit! I post on the wrong thread.

sorry guys....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i did the surgery last weekend, pretty much two days worth. I took off the door panel, removed the window, cleaned the clip real good, glued it back together real well with JB Weld (sanded the whole area down and such), let the JB set for 24 hours and replaced the window with ease.

Well, it worked fine after I fixed it. I went to DC on business for 3 days, came back, rolled down the window and now the window is acting like it did before I fixed it. GRRRR!!!! So, I guess the JB didn't hold. MAN, am I PISSED right now. I figured it would hold out longer than a few days.

So, I am just going to get the new clip from the dealer. My question:

Is there a specific part number to ask for or will the parts counter guys know what I am referring to.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
you will have to get a new track, or a used track with the "NEW" SQUARE sliders instead of rollers, I pulled mine from a 2000 300M, and they are square now, instead of round, so it just slides against the rail, instead of rolling in the track, I would also check and inspect the window metal brackets that hold the window down on the motor regulator assembly(there are 2). HOPE THIS HELPS BRO, ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts