DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an used 1999 Intrepid, 3.2L, 80K mile. Since I did not get the user manual with this car, anybody knows the preferred gas number for this car? And any suggestions for the maintainance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also these days this car has some troubles in start if I let it sit there for about one week, when I turned the key, I can only hear a crack. Sometimes if I kick the car when turned the key, it can start. Once it's started, usually it has no problem to start again in about 2 days. I guess the starter might be old. Anyone has experience or suggestion on that?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Regular old 87 Octane is all that is required. I have tried higher octane levels and never noticed any difference. I am pretty sure the 3.5HO motors need at least mid-grade, but am not sure.

In regard to the starting trouble, you might check the battery first. It may not be holding onto its charge and gets low over a long time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
87 octane like tj said...and be careful where you fill up. make sure it isnt a cheap place like meijers gas or the such...they have filthy gas and it shakes the whole car on start up.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My 3.2 runs p***-poor on cheap gas, no matter where I get it.
Midgrade makes it purr! and it's been unhappy with me running cheap (sic)$2.89
gas, but Hey!, we all suffer when Exxon Mobil makes millions!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
TJ said:
Regular old 87 Octane is all that is required. I have tried higher octane levels and never noticed any difference. I am pretty sure the 3.5HO motors need at least mid-grade, but am not sure.

In regard to the starting trouble, you might check the battery first. It may not be holding onto its charge and gets low over a long time.
Do you mean to measure the voltage of the battery? What should be the normal voltage for this car?

I replaced this battery about 2 months ago at Walmart when I first got this starting problem. Although I was told that the battery quality at Walmart is not good, I have no choice because this car has to remove tire first to change battery (I am completely a newbie for car and I don't know how to remove tire. They can do it for me with very cheap labor($3) if I buy the battery there).

·
Registered
158 Posts
sounds like you have a little bit of a drain on your battery. if you can get your hands on an amp probe, hook it up and then pull fuses one at a time until the drain stops. that should at least tell you which circuit the drain is on. on my truck it was actually something in the alternator that was draining the batt.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Borrow a DC amp-clamp...clips around the cable and will tell you wassup!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I run Premium, and i get excelent gas milage. I only buy my gas at BP or Shell. running down the Freeway i get 31+ depending on conditions. but driving accross WI for Easter i got 33.

If i run 87, the best i ever got was 29. So my rule of thumb is if Mid-grade is 12 or more a gallon cheaper then Premium, i go with that, but if its less then 12 i go with prem.

here is a pic to show what i go. its also in my sign thread.

"It was 220 mile drive. I set the cruse so that the needle is inbetween 69-70mph. I saw it get up to 34.6mph. but i lost that getting off the Highway and to the driveway of my parents place"

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ohhh and another thing

STAY AWAY FROM ETHONAL!

I lose alot of milage when its in there, even the 10% **** we got here. And thats a big myth about Ethnoal, is its getts you better milage or somthing. The only thing your doing is using more gallons of gas/ethonal to go the same distance you would go on the same amount gallons of pure gas.

just my opinion from the research i have done, and my own personal expericance. and that of my relatives who have seen the same thing.

·
9,861 Posts
Depends on what your priorities are with ethonal. Yes, it does take more ethonal then gas to get you where you're going. But it's made from renewable things like corn.

You have to litterally kick the car? Might be your starter going bad. That's the old fix for a dieing starter. Hit it with a hammer.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have been using only the mid-grade in my 2001 ES, and it's gets about 31 to 32MPG on the highway also... Heres a pic of my OTIS showing 28.5 after alittle in town driving from the interstate...

Oh yea, When i got my ES which was about 3 months ago I had the tranny serviced!!! And i changed the oil to Mobile 1....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told that the possible reason for this starter problem is the solenoid contact is not good and it may only need to replace this. Is that correct, or I have to replace the whole starter?

The problem is if I can not start the car and use a jump start, it can start right away, which seems to me the starter is not too bad, otherwise it can not start even with jump start. Is that right?

Hypnos said:
Depends on what your priorities are with ethonal. Yes, it does take more ethonal then gas to get you where you're going. But it's made from renewable things like corn.

You have to litterally kick the car? Might be your starter going bad. That's the old fix for a dieing starter. Hit it with a hammer.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hypnos said:
Now i would be more on board with the idea, but at best our infurstucture can only handle about 15% of the daily amount of gas needed. at the best it can produce. (just what i heard)

I dont know if its true or not, but i have heard it not good for alot of engines out there. I dont know if its true but it makes sence to me. Now i understand that the new GM engines are being designed for Ethonal.

Also i would be more inclinded to use Ethonal, if they would make the price cheaper per gallon, like they do in Iowa i beleive. Its about 20% cheaper, which would make it worth it to me. because thats about what i lose when Ethonal is being burnt.

once again my 2 cents and my thoughts. and i am not aruguing with anybody or saying there wrong. (i just felt like typing LOL)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
All the gas around here has ethanol so I don't have much choice on that. The R/T has never had anything but 87 in it since it was new and there were never any problems so I don't see why I should start buying more expensive gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts