DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the fact that my new (so to speak) '97 has so few miles yet, the original spark plugs are still in it. When Spring comes and I break the ES back out, I want to make a few changes. I am currently running Splitfire Platinum Plus plugs in a different vehicle, and they made a marked difference in performance. Has any one tried the Platinum Plus 4's ? What was the result? I've noticed some of the members are using the NGK's, are they better than the Splitfires or Plus 4's?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Well now you have hit on a topic of contention.

Most people say that the Split Fires are no good for the 3.5L and in fact damage it.

Personally I'd go with a set of premium Autolites, Champion, NGK or what-have-you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LHSer, why would the Splitfires damage the engine, too much heat?? I would be REAL interested to find out. Possible erosion of the pistons?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yeah i heard the Splitfires do damage too. If i were you I'd go with the Autolite Platinums

·
Registered
530 Posts
Platinums, even though most disagree on this, are not the best you can do for this engine and most chryslers. Many of you know that Neons will eat bosch platinums up in about 25,000 miles or less. These cars won't do that but aren't preferred. I can't speak on some of the brands but most are just gimics and give me a break. The splitfires are overpriced and overrated POS plugs. I had autolites when I got this car and had them out the next day, I hate autolite plugs to death but they do run good in some engines. I only run Champion Gold Spark plugs. Not the normal ones but the gold ones with the three year unlimited mileage warranty on them. I have had nothing but success before and after the MSD with them. Of course with the MSD it won't make that much of a difference what plug is in there. I find that only pep boys or Napa can order these plugs and rarely carry them in stock for our cars. Oh if your wondering I'm home for thanksgiving break so I haven't been as active as I wish. I'll be home the 25th as many of you know who I stay in touch with.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
they have the Champion Golds at the Wal-Mart here for pretty cheap...i better snag some if they are good plugs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll put the Champion Golds on m list of parts to check on. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
while we are on the subject is $60 reasonable for a set of Accel Plug wires?

·
Registered
261 Posts
heh, well, I paid about $60 for my Taylor Vertex wires [75 with shipping i think, mabey the wires were 69, not really sure] and I have no complaints whatsoever. Of course, the plugs that were in there looked like ****, like they hadnt been changed in 110,000 miles [life of the car], heh, so im sure anything would have been an improvement.
oh jus for reference i put NGK plugs in, the v-power ones... mabey a gimick, but I havent heard ANYTHING bad about them, so thats good enough for me. At the time I didnt have money for camp golds, and didnt have time to wait for ordering.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
....i see im not the only one who stays up till the wee hours of the morning on this site :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
yea, cept im on west coast time :D
its "only" 2 am here haha.
ps, pimped, i like the new sig pic, cept theres no sign of your car? IMHO, i think some fragment of a persons car should be in the sig pic, but each to his own, i still think its cool

·
Registered
261 Posts
u dont gotta change it jus for me, i was jus stating my opinion :D its all good

·
Registered
261 Posts
gotcha ;)
hey, so whats your opinion on tinting that matches the paint? I saw it on a semi-dark metallic green corolla today and it looked damn tight, and I think it would look equally awesome with my paint color. opinions?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i think its one of those things that depends on car color. it would look like **** on mine but i think it would look pretty cool on yours cuz its a dark color. post in the "imaging" forum for mathwiz to try to simulate it for you. hes good with that so he can pry help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
alrighty then. ill do that. so is this a new thing? I havent seen it that much, only the mirror tint, and clear style purple [GheTto]

ps, sorry to all others for getting so off topic! :(

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
haha, i was thinking the same thing (about getting sidetracked off the topic) lol, but that kind of tinting has been around for at least 2 years. I was gonna have it done to my '88 mustang and i havent had that since i was 16...ive also seen where people have tint that has weird designs and stuff but i thought that looked tacky.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use Autolite platinums and they work great... No problems with the car.

As for the splitfires in our cars, I've heard a few say that sometimes pieces of the plug tip will melt off or fall of into the chambers! :eek:

I personally like the autolite platinums and have had no problems with them... What did you experience that was so bad about them 94 es? :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Champion Golds are actually the best plugs for the 3.5's. But lets find out which are the best wire sets. As just stated the Accel's are what, like $60? That is about right. Do they have them in different colors? Is it a 8mm type of wire? Since, hopefully after Christmas, I am planning an MSD-6 igntion upgrade, I will try to locate some MSD wires for my car.??? DO they make them for us, I don't know yet. There was a guy running this type of ignition MSD_6 set-up with HUGE 10.4 mm wires. He said that he dyno'ed the car and came up with #'s like that of 252hp. I will try to contact this guy today and let all of you guys know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts