DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the kit has sit around for a week. I've gotten rediculously high estimates for getting it installed at body shops. I've decided to undergo the front and rear fiberglass bumper installation myself with the help of some friends. This is new grounds for us, doing body work with fiberglass.

I was wondering what body work pointers you guys could have for me. How long should I give for the project of taking bumpers off and putting new ones on? The body kit bumpers do not have holes, how should I go about lining it up so that there is very little error when we drill holes to attach it to the Intrepid? How should I make the holes in the fiberglass? Should I use special fasteners or re use the ones that were on the Trep? Any special tools should I have on site?

Anything you can think of is greatly appreciated. I have a small budget and need everything to go as close to perfect as possible.

·
Registered
494 Posts
that is going to be quite a job doing it yourself....you really should get someone who has experience doing fiberglass and body work....I am taking it its not painted at all....and all the prep work u do on the new bodykit is definitely going to show up after its painted....body shops charge alot cuz its ALOT of work to prep it and get it ready to paint and hang it on the car....from the experience I have with aftemarket body kits, they aren't anywhere near right from the manufacturer...they need to be cut, sanded, drilled, redrilled, fiberglassed, sanded again, etc....thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn painted...so if u truely want to do this yourself, have alot of different grades of sand paper, drill bits, drills, masking tape of a few different sizes, socket sets and screwdriver sets and lots of time and sweat....its easy to remove the factory parts, but getting the new ones on isn't as easy because they won't fit right...just take your time and use your friends to hold it in place and use the factory parts as your guide to drill the holes...u can always fill in a mistake hole and drill it again....just take your time and devot probably an entire weekend to doing it if not longer....

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was able to install my front and rear bumpers using only a cordless drill with some of the larger bits. I had two friends hold the bumper in the correct position while I marked the holes with a sharpie. Then we put it on the ground and started with small holes. When it looked like it was going to line up, I began drilling larger holes and used fasteners from AutoZone.

That is, the front and rears anyways. They are the only parts that should bolt on. Those sideskirts MUST be custom done. Make friends with bondo and sandpaper right now if you're planning on installing them.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rediculously high = $1500 just to do the body work, not even paint it. And paint was supposed to be the higher factor for me. I thought it was going to cost me a g at MOST. If I knew install was going to cost that much, I probably wouldn't even have bought the kit even though I got a killer deal and I didn't have to pay for shipping. Well, I'm past the point of no return now...and I'm motivated to have one of the nicest looking cars on the site.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Badass--I'll Think about it, the thing is I've heard horror stories about fiberglass, and the way the Intrepid is and the kind of roads/entrances there are in CT, i can see me bottoming out somewhere and having my bumper shatter. So I'm kind of skeptical about selling the stock one when I might need to put it back on after a while...

But it's in the back of my mind if I need cash after this project.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Barto1127 said:
the thing is I've heard horror stories about fiberglass, and the way the Intrepid is and the kind of roads/entrances there are in CT, i can see me bottoming out somewhere and having my bumper shatter. So I'm kind of skeptical about selling the stock one when I might need to put it back on after a while...
I had it happen once. It doesn't shatter like you think it would. The "catfish" bottom part of the bumper took a hit on a driveway and cracked. It's easily fixed with some fiberglass repair kit and bondo.

Did I say make friends with bondo? :p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I'll at least be having the skirts done at a shop, because they don't go right on. I hope they do a good job on it, I was reading one of Vegas Trep's posts and he said he needs to get them re done. Hopefully it's not a white Intrepid curse or anything...if I ever get this done, him and I will have pretty similar cars.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today I went back to one of the shops who quoted me 1500 without having the parts to look at...I brought the parts and they said it would cost double that. I really don't think it should cost $3 grand to get this thing on...this place was really picky saying the edges were too rough and this and that...I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
709 Posts
GO TO A DIFFERENT SHOP, always shop around when it comes to body work. The part where they give you a general quote with out the parts and then double it with the parts it BS.

I had to have both passenger side doors replaced and the B pillar rebuilt on my Trep in 04 (gotta love my brothers driving) and it's total cost was around 5 grand, and right now the car is in the shop again (thank bro) getting yet another new door and a little part of the rear quarter panel infront of the tire fixed and right now my end estimate was 1500....and that's with a new door, body work, fit, finish and three layers of OE paint......... So I'd say go to several shops cause the one you are going to sounds like they are just going to rip you off.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, being there and talking to the guy I get the feeling I shouldn't have even shown up there...it looks like a high end garage, there are a lot of areas to work on the cars, there are sick classic Mustangs chillin in the parking lot with custom paint, and he was telling me he put on a $7k kit on a Supra during the week. Being a high end garage gives me confidence I can find something cheaper, I sure hope so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Finally I've got mine bodykit installed :) My total cost $500 ( install + paint + supplies )

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
That's IT??? That sounds really low to me?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that sounds very low, unless exup did it himself.

An update on my progress. I found a shop that is willing to do it for a little over 1 grand. They have been around a while. The manager broke it down for me, saying putting on the parts would cost around 400, and painting it would be the majority of the work. I seriously can't wait for this thing. The appointment was supposed to be this upcoming Wednesday, but he said it looks like he'd have a lot of work to do in the shop, so I moved it to the next Tuesday.

exup, i'd love to see some pics.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My ES pictures

I did not install this damn kit, cousine of mine did and he is bitchn' since now. Ok, here goes the pictures, I know they are not so good [ taken at high noon and then after sunset ] but I promise to take some better ones.

enjoy

Reactions: RYAN

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dont let qp-20 see that...it will be gone in 60 seconds!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts