DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had a leak in the oil cooler line going from pressure switch fitting to radiator on a 98 3.2. After I changed the line, I had a leak seeming to come from the fitting whch the oil pressure switch screws into. This is the goofy fitting that screws into the block and has the line that curves around and connects to the line going to the oil cooler. IS this a one piece fitting or what? It it supposed to be loose? I can spin it around freely when disconnected even though the part that screws into the block is nice and tight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Okay, I had a leak in the oil cooler line going from pressure switch fitting to radiator on a 98 3.2. After I changed the line, I had a leak seeming to come from the fitting whch the oil pressure switch screws into. This is the goofy fitting that screws into the block and has the line that curves around and connects to the line going to the oil cooler. IS this a one piece fitting or what? It it supposed to be loose? I can spin it around freely when disconnected even though the part that screws into the block is nice and tight.

I was going to ask the same question. I was fixing a leak last Saturday and after fixing it that switch started to leak !
I went to the dealer and they want $150 for that part. I pulled one from the junk yard but it was also leaking :/ I'll try to get another one tomorrow. And yes, it spins around. Let me know if you figured it out.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,760 Posts
Yeah, its one piece. $150 is about right, part number 5014313-AA. Mine has begun to seep too. I am considering removing the oil cooler altogether to get rid of the leak. They eliminated it in 02 anyways.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So...I could just plug the passenger's side, screw the sensor on the driver's side and remove oil cooler lines?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great. Saves $$$ Do you think I should switch to synthetic oil ?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,760 Posts
Great. Saves $$$ Do you think I should switch to synthetic oil ?
Definitely. It handles heat much better IMO. I run Mobil-1 5w30 year round. If you really wanted to you could add an aftermarket oil cooler to replace the factory one, for added cooling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the new valve and switch for $138 and change at the dealer. The valve listed for $152 but the trade price was $114. If you buy from the dealer and the quote you the list price, tell them you want the trade price. I was a little leary of bypassing the cooler and figured a valve from the junk yard would leak as well

·
Registered
107 Posts
I removed hoses and got rid of the system. I put synthetic blend motor oil 5W30. I am not sure if that was a good choice for an oil after reading that 5W40 is recommended for summers in Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
which manual recommended 5w-40? I've never heard of that before... usually it's 5w-30 in winter and 10w-30 in the summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
which manual recommended 5w-40? I've never heard of that before... usually it's 5w-30 in winter and 10w-30 in the summer.

My bad. it is 102-30 :) Short term memory :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts