DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man... is it me... or have the price for tires gone up? I remember back in the day when Tirerack.com was offering the original MXM4 17" tires for a special of $121 I believe. Now they are close to $180 a tire.

Thats a lot of cash. Im at 29k miles right now... and eventually I will need new tires. I know I have one bad tire that doesnt hold air very well. (needs air about every three-four weeks)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I found a local retailer who is a tirerack preferred installer, instead of ordering from tirerack and having them drop shipped I went there in person

I bought 4 tires for the Explorer and 4 for my car. I ended up spending about $8-10 per tire less than what tirerack listed and his price included the mounting and balancing

Not sure if it will work in your area but it is worth a try

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
That's one of the reasons I switched to a different size tire. 245/45/17s seem much more popular. You get a wider selection, cheaper prices and a more aggressive stance (IMHO). They will fit the R/T rims just fine even though most companies say that they require a minimum 7.5" wheel...

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
DjPiLL said:
I know I have one bad tire that doesnt hold air very well. (needs air about every three-four weeks)
Try a plug Rich... I had my front left tire plugged for a bit before I bought new ones a week and a half ago.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive already had the tire plugged twice. LOL Its definitely on its last leg.

·
Registered
564 Posts
jump over the river to NJ tire prices are cheaper there

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What makes you think they would be any cheaper in NJ? Do you have a specific place that I can call and get a price?

Im kicking myself for not jumping on the OEM Michelans when they were $120s at Tirerack. Oh well. Back then i had like 18k miles and didnt need them.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Have you looked at the MXV4s? They are starting to become the replacement for the MXM4s. I looked on Tirerack and saw they are about $20/ea. cheaper ($161 vs. $188)...

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah.... but still $40 more than it was. Oh well... ill keep my eyes open. :D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I'm getting a whole set installed next week (hopefully) for just under $500 tax included. Is your car a lease thus requiring the same tires? If not, I'd seriously consider something else. IMHO, those Michelins aren't worth it...

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dbaudiopro said:
I'm getting a whole set installed next week (hopefully) for just under $500 tax included. Is your car a lease thus requiring the same tires? If not, I'd seriously consider something else. IMHO, those Michelins aren't worth it...
Nah... no lease here. I'd change the tire size like you mentioned... but i dont want my speedo to become innacurate.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
With the 245/45s I have it's only ~5% too fast. You'll never notice it. I think you can actually take it to the dealer and have it reprogrammed if you're that worried about it too..

·
Registered
493 Posts
DB:

I am very curious as to how the 245/55/17 look on the R/T. Do you have any close up's or side views of the car.

I too will need tires shortly and I am thinking of going the same route you did for size. My main concern is losing what traction I had in the snow by going to a larger tire. Also, (as you mentioned above) most tire manufactures recommend no less the 7.5 on the rim.

Did you have any trouble mounting the new size on the stock R/T rim?

Thanks,

·
Registered
564 Posts
DjPiLL said:
What makes you think they would be any cheaper in NJ? Do you have a specific place that I can call and get a price?

Im kicking myself for not jumping on the OEM Michelans when they were $120s at Tirerack. Oh well. Back then i had like 18k miles and didnt need them.
yes..Passaic Tire for one..they are a whole sale dealer. Among others...Things always seemed cheaper in NJ

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not bad... but they are only 'H' rated. :p

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
mlfca said:
DB:

I am very curious as to how the 245/55/17 look on the R/T. Do you have any close up's or side views of the car.

I too will need tires shortly and I am thinking of going the same route you did for size. My main concern is losing what traction I had in the snow by going to a larger tire. Also, (as you mentioned above) most tire manufactures recommend no less the 7.5 on the rim.

Did you have any trouble mounting the new size on the stock R/T rim?

Thanks,
The shop (Discount Tire) said they had not problems getting the tire to fit and it doesn't look like a mushroom as I first expected. But the sidewalls on my current tires are very, very stiff. Softer sidewalls may look a little more buldgy. I'll know after I get my new tires as I'm going with something else that I've heard aren't near as stiff in the sidewalls. Here is what I have on there now. At least this is what they looked like when they were new. Now they are much smoother... :D

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
DjPiLL said:
Not bad... but they are only 'H' rated. :p
Do you regularly do over 120 and push the 130 limit on these tires?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOUD98ES said:
Do you regularly do over 120 and push the 130 limit on these tires?
Not usually... but on occasion when I need to out-run the cops on the Long Island Expressway... i'd hate to have a tire go out on me... not from a cop shooting it out. :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
DjPiLL said:
Not usually... but on occasion when I need to out-run the cops on the Long Island Expressway... i'd hate to have a tire go out on me... not from a cop shooting it out. :D
Hey I wanna see 120 on the LIE.....that would be slalom right? and there are some parts that feel like they got spped bumps:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts