DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I think I have a problem, I'm not sure if it's slved by one of hte TSB's that were recently talked about ot not. But on longer trips I seem to notice this more. I use my CD player heavilly... there is constantly a CD in there, and music blaring from my speakers. After a while my car refuses to blow hot air, it actually blows cold unless I turn the temp control up to like 89 or more degrees. :confused: Now I am guessing that the temp sensor is that litle gridded opening in the lower left hand corner of the enviromental controls. Right above the factory CD player, which get's very warm after you pay CD's for a while. Is anyone else having a similar problem, or has anyone heard of such, is this one of the problems in the TSB's? I wanted to get some advice form here before I took it in to the dealer to get looked at, as it's getting colder in Iowa and heat is a good thing. :D

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Check your temp guage!!! Does it say your engine is overheating?? If so, it's a good bet that you are going to need a new head gasket.

When I had my Sundance, it started to blow cold air even though I had the heat set at max. I looked at my temp guage and it said the engine was over heating! It was all the way to HOT!!! It turns out that I needed a new head gasket. I've heard that sympton a lot from people who also needed new head gaskets.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your thermostat (near the radiator) may also be stuck open in your cooling sytem. We had the same symptoms on our Lumina. The heater would be warm, but as you drove along the coolant constantly circulated throughout the system and soon there was no heat for the passengers. This may not sound like that big of a deal, but you engine never gets warm enough, then you have little or no heat. Of course in the summer, you would overheat if you got stuck in traffic. Could be a simple fix if it is the thermostat :D

I thought the thermostat for the climate control was on top of the dash? :confused:

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: bigdaddy ]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had thought about thermostat, becuase unless I am really out there driving for a while I hardly see the temp guage rise above about quarter of the range. But of course in August when I got the car it didn't get hot either sitting and idling. I don't tink I have ever seen the temp guage reach the halfway mark. I thought that was fairly usual, perhaps not?

Oh and on a side note, I saw that I am FINALLY a senior member... I just hope I earned it. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had posted a ventilation recalibration process a few months back. This helped me out dramatically. I'll paste it in.

Found out last night how to recalibrate and check your AC and vent system on your Intrepid with manual controls. I found out because while my AC was on, the air coming out of the vents was warm. This procedure fixed the problem.

To do it follow these steps

Set the fan control to low (not off)
Set the temp dial to the coldest setting (far left)
Set the vents to window defroster
Now press the rear defroster button until AC00 appears on your dashbaord then let go.

The car will run it's diagnostic test and recalibrate the dials over the next 1 to 2 minutes.

-------------------- :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this supposed to work with the automtic temprature controls? I tried as close as I could get. Turing the fan all the way to low, settingthe temp to Lo, setting windshield defrost, and holding in the rear window defrost button... I didn't get anything, except a low cold blow from the front defrost. Hehe. Anyone have any more specific instructions for the Auto controls, or am I just nuts? :p

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: DEEPRED ]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here's what Haynes has to say:
"To use the diagnostic mode on ATC models, have the engine idling, set the temp on the panel to 75F and push in and hold the Floor, Mix (Defrost and lower air vent button), and Defrost buttons all at the same time until the display section blinks, then release the buttons.
"The control display will continue to blink, and then show 2-digit trouble codes, if any are present. The codes range from 23 to 51.
"Only one code can be displayed at a time, but pressing the Panel button will display the next code, if present.
"If there is a code indicating the problem is with the in-car ambient temp sensor, test the sensor's fan by turning on the system and placing a small sction of a tissue over the grille opening on the A/C control unit which incorporates a small fan that circulates interior air past the sensor. If the tissue stays in place over the name-plate, the fan is working.
"If the tissue won't stay in place, the fan is not running, and the sensor/fan assembly needs to be replaced.
"To clear the codes diconnect the negative battery cable from the remote ground terminal for 10 minutes."

HTH

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by rich00es:
<snip>
"If there is a code indicating the problem is with the in-car ambient temp sensor, test the sensor's fan by turning on the system and placing a small sction of a tissue over the grille opening on the A/C control unit which incorporates a small fan that circulates interior air past the sensor. If the tissue stays in place over the name-plate, the fan is working.
"If the tissue won't stay in place, the fan is not running, and the sensor/fan assembly needs to be replaced.
<snip>
Eeeak, :eek: what a horrible place for that sensor. :mad: That's what I thought that grille was, but the CD player just gets too warm. I'm sure it's not a problem with the sensor itself, becuase I do get heat on short drives. Just after a couple discs get cycled through the player I get no heat. I'm sure it's the stock CD payler heating up right underneath it. I will check for codes today. Ugh, if my theory is correct my head unit upgrade is going to come a lot sooner than I had planed. :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts