DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Everybody!
I have a 93 Intrepid ES with 3.5L engine....
Recently when I just started the engine in th morning, it has a very very rough idle and I can smell a strong gas smell from the muffler. Then when I drive it, if I don't push the gas pedal, the rpm will drop to around 400~500. Sometimes the engine oil light will be on and the engine turns off automatically right away (while driving). However, once the engine gets warm, everything seems to be ok!
Seems like it doesn't matter with the outdoor temperature (sometimes it happens at -30c, maybe -6 degree celcius, but sometimes it got no problem at -20c)
Does anybody have a similar problem on ur Intrepid?
Or could anybody help me on this?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Sounds like your oil pressure might be a bit low. These cars usually idle between 600-800rpm. My car smells a little like gas too when I first start it whe it is cold out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
R u sure your gas ain't freezing at that temp?

·
Registered
964 Posts
First, check for codes.
Second, if no codes, get your PCM updated because there is a TSB for cold weather start problems with early 3.5L engines. Beside the update, you must use Champ. plugs set at .035" gap and 5W-30 oil. The dealer can do the update for the TCM at the same time.

FredB

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
FredB said:
you must use Champ. plugs set at .035" gap and 5W-30 oil.
I have Bosch Platinum plugs on a .050" gap. Runs fine. .035" is a bit narrow.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Correct, there's a TSB stating that at cold starts the engine may misfife slightly giving a rough idle and blah blah blah.... But that's what it sounds like you got. A misfiring engine will not idle as fast as it should and when RPM's go too low, the oil pump can't keep up enough pressure to keep the light off.
Call the dealer, and set up an appointment. Have them check to see if the fuel rail recall and the suspension recalls were done also, just to be safe.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had Bosch plugs set at .050". Ran fine but left the wife stranded at work when the car would not start at 0 deg. F. Had to have it towed home and get out the kerosene heater in the garage and heat the car for an hour. It then started. Damn thing was flooded.
I then found out about the TSB re: Cold Weather No Starts. TSB 18-15-95.
The Champion RC-12-LYC gapped at .035" is the only spark plug certifed for the 3.5L engine. For vehicles built between Oct. 24, 1993 and Feb. 17, 1995 the new software must also be installed.
The TSB also states that 5W-30 oil should be used but not above 32 deg. ambient temperature because of possible internal engine damage.
I now have the proper plugs, oil, and software update. Car starts just fine in the cold. Seems to be a little lean at first but runs OK.

Rayjui should do a code check to make sure sensors are OK.

FredB

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
FredB said:
I had Bosch plugs set at .050". Ran fine but left the wife stranded at work when the car would not start at 0 deg. F. Had to have it towed home and get out the kerosene heater in the garage and heat the car for an hour. It then started. Damn thing was flooded.
I then found out about the TSB re: Cold Weather No Starts. TSB 18-15-95.
The Champion RC-12-LYC gapped at .035" is the only spark plug certifed for the 3.5L engine. For vehicles built between Oct. 24, 1993 and Feb. 17, 1995 the new software must also be installed.
The TSB also states that 5W-30 oil should be used but not above 32 deg. ambient temperature because of possible internal engine damage.
I now have the proper plugs, oil, and software update. Car starts just fine in the cold. Seems to be a little lean at first but runs OK.

Rayjui should do a code check to make sure sensors are OK.

FredB
32 deg F or Celsius? I'm assuming Celsius?

Isn't the gap for the plugs supposed to be 0.035" from the factory? That' what my plugs have always been and I haven't gotten no TCM update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for ur guys' helps...
Now it is determined to be due to the low temperature, the gas was frozen. After the weather gets better, the problem is gone!

·
Registered
964 Posts
black94es, it's 32 deg.F. The plug gap was changed from .050" to .035".
I think 32 deg. C. would be a little warm for 5W-30 oil. That's about 88 deg. F. on my back yard thermometer.
Makes me wonder if the "bright boys" at Chrysler ever bothered to start a 3.5L engine in the cold.

FredB

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
FredB said:

Makes me wonder if the "bright boys" at Chrysler ever bothered to start a 3.5L engine in the cold.

FredB
Maybe if they would have tested these cars in the cold then the steering wouldn't creak for about 5 minutes when you first start it in cold weather. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
My steering is all good :p
I have the hard starts tho.. I and I have the bosch plats.. maybe it is time to get back to the Champions.

What were the part number for the Champion Golds again? the ones that everyone likes so much? Where do you order them from?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
FredB said:
black94es, it's 32 deg.F. The plug gap was changed from .050" to .035".
I think 32 deg. C. would be a little warm for 5W-30 oil. That's about 88 deg. F. on my back yard thermometer.

FredB
The cars were built in Canada, where it does get pretty cold in the winter.

As for 32 deg F for the 5w-30, that seems way too low. I know cars that use 5w-30 all year round. I'm gonna have to check this out. Maybe it's just the engine.

·
Registered
964 Posts
black94es, the warning about 5W-30 use in the 3.5L is in the TSB about cold weather starting problems. Says engine damage can result.

FredB

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thanks, do you know the TSB number? because I know for sure that when I used to get my oil changed at the dealer they'd put in 5w30 a month before spring and my engine ran just fine.

If that TSB is right I might have damaged my engine, so far it runs just fine, although the crank bearings are starting to wear out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
to thin of oil can be very bad if you have loose crank bearings...... be careful

·
Registered
964 Posts
Black94es, the TSB # re: Cold Weather Starts is TSB18-15-95. I have 5W-30 Mobil 1 in my LHS and plan to change it to 10W-30 as soon as possible. The weather in Chicago is starting to get more Spring like and I may take the car south for a couple of weeks and would prefer a heavier oil.

FredB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts