DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small problem.

On my second server (my file server), I am having a small problem. Here's the deal.

It's a fresh install (though I'd let you know that right off the bat). Whenever I right click a folder or a drive and try to access "properties", nothing happens. I click on "properties" and nothing happens at all. I tried killing explorer.exe and restarting it (thought it might be a problem with the shell) No luck.

I can access properties on "My Documents" and I can access properties on anything that is not a folder or drive.

Any ideas? I'm logged in as the admin, so I know that's not it. I haven't created any group policies that would not let me access it either.

·
Dain bramaged
7,215 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
Small problem.

On my second server (my file server), I am having a small problem. Here's the deal.

It's a fresh install (though I'd let you know that right off the bat). Whenever I right click a folder or a drive and try to access "properties", nothing happens. I click on "properties" and nothing happens at all. I tried killing explorer.exe and restarting it (thought it might be a problem with the shell) No luck.

I can access properties on "My Documents" and I can access properties on anything that is not a folder or drive.

Any ideas? I'm logged in as the admin, so I know that's not it. I haven't created any group policies that would not let me access it either.

i'd recomend going into the computer management under admin tools, then to disk management. see if they are read their.. and to see if there is any problems.. thats where i'd start anyway..

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had already tried that.. The drive is shown, but still can't access the properties.

What is kinda odd is that if I go through "Shared Folders" in computer mgmnt, I can share folders through that tool. But I can't access "Share" or "Properties" when I right click or go through File/Properties.

Weird?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check out the registry under HKCR for "Directory" and "Drive". Look at the ShellEx entries for the property sheet handlers, search your registry for the GUIDs shown there, and see if all checks out.

My two cents.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything looks spiffy, and it also gave me another idea. I created another admin, but logging in as him had no effect. CRAP!

Maybe the administrators group GUID is f'ed.

I'm digging back in.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I created a user (not in the admin's group) and he can't do it either.

Poopy!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it seems my SMTP and World Wide Web services were hanging on startup. I disabled them and it works fine now. I just have to manually start them now.

What do they have to do with this I wonder? SMTP is used for mail and replication (It hasn't joined a domain yet). and WWW is used for just about everything so I'll just shut-up now. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
The only reason I could think of is that the crashing of the SMTP & WWW services caused something else to freak out. My guess is that it had to due with the WWW properties page not being available due to the IIS crash.

Once you diagnose and repair your issue with IIS, all should be well again.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Gotta love that event log. I had some serious issues with my citrix server, couldnt do anything on the web. Thought it was my damm nic card, isp, etc etc. Ended up to be a service was hanging on startup... f'in Compaq server agents.

Blah. Always check that event log and services!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
Gotta love that event log. I had some serious issues with my citrix server, couldnt do anything on the web. Thought it was my damm nic card, isp, etc etc. Ended up to be a service was hanging on startup... f'in Compaq server agents.

Blah. Always check that event log and services!
Yup, as always...it was a lifesaver! Thankyou Mr Gates and to whoever you copied it from! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts