DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I need help with a problem im having. I just purchased a 1999 Intrepid, just the standard version. Lately i have notices a rattling sound on the rear two wheels. I hear the rattle everytime i go over a bump. But when i have my foot on the brake and i go over a bump i dont hear the rattle. My guess is my brakes are loose or something else it wrong. If anyone has an idea of what this may be and how much it might cost to be fixed please let me know id really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Might be a loose emergency brake cable. My Mustang did the same thing. Try engaging the emergency brake next time you park...it might help...if not, take a look under the car and see if anything is hanging..could be alot of things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. I was talking with a buddy of mine and he mentioned it may be a pin or spring that pushes the brake into a cup when it isnt being used, the cup keep the brake from rattling. Hopefully that is all it is, he said that would be a fairly cheap repair. It is a disk brake and not a drum.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello Warlord187, just a question for you from the north - Canada.
I have a 1995 Chrysler Intrepid ( yes a Chrysler) and at a recent garage check the brakes were good.
However it seems with a bit of moisture the rears squeal at first then it sems to go away. Also the front's pulse when stopping. So it seems to me they will need to be replaced. Do you have any suggestions on this at all...pads-semi metallic etc.

Thanks.
:confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Speaking of freakin', yesterday and today I noticed a vibration when I stoped at red lights. I turned the AC off once and it kinda smoothed out. I also put it on neutral and it totaly stopped. Im driving a 98 sedan, anybody else notice this shake? What could it be...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by MedicMAn:
Hello Warlord187, just a question for you from the north - Canada.
I have a 1995 Chrysler Intrepid ( yes a Chrysler) and at a recent garage check the brakes were good.
However it seems with a bit of moisture the rears squeal at first then it sems to go away. Also the front's pulse when stopping. So it seems to me they will need to be replaced. Do you have any suggestions on this at all...pads-semi metallic etc.

Thanks.
:confused:
If the local garage say your brakes are good, I would believe them and not worry about the brakes.

The rears are fine. A little bit of moisture, like you pointed out, can cause the brakes to make a squealing sound, expecially if they are organic. Because when you apply the brakes heat is generated. This heat vaporizes any moisture. That's why the squealing goes away. With my car, after it rains a thin film of rust will form on the rotor. The first couple of brake applications produce a grinding sound. The thin layer of rust is "wiped" off the rotor by the pads, and the sound goes away.

The fronts pulsing could be a couple of things. Does your car have ABS? If so there might be a problem with the ABS system, since when the ABS is engaged it pulses. Another reason could be the rotor. The rotor may be uneven/warped in areas. It may be a good idea to have your rotors checked for evenness. If your rotors are uneven/warped, this will increase stopping distance since the pad won't be able to have all it's surface area contacting the rotor. How much of an increase I don't know. It could be only a few inches or it could be several feet. It would depend on how much your rotor is uneven/warped.

I hope this helps you. Take care.

-chase :cool:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by bvwib:
Speaking of freakin', yesterday and today I noticed a vibration when I stoped at red lights. I turned the AC off once and it kinda smoothed out. I also put it on neutral and it totaly stopped. Im driving a 98 sedan, anybody else notice this shake? What could it be...
Do these vibrations happen only when you are stoped? Or does it happen as your driving down the road also. If it happens while you are driving, maybe it has something to do with the tranny. Just a thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my 2000 Intrepid. I just assume that it's normal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has it always been like that? Come to think about it, im not sure if it had that shake when I first purchased it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok if it's a slight vibration I have the same thing with mine and don't freak. I just noticed mine the other day again because it got hot out and I'm using my air. When I'm stopped at idle and the compressor kicks on for the air I'll get a vibration, very little one though. The engine just doesn't idle as smooth for some reason. Have somebody open the hood and listen for the compressor to kick on while your sitting there with your foot on the break and I'll bet that you'll feel it until it kicks off again. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just annoying. It was something that I just got used too over time. Glad to know somebody else has had the same thing.
:rolleyes:

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: 98PurdueIntrepid ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts