DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my intrepid the automatic windows down has not worked. It says Auto on the switch but it only works if you hold the button down. I just got a windows buttons cluster from a LHS from ebay it also says Auto. Just tryed to swap them and the windows does not go down at all it does try to go up. All the other windows work great except the driver. The switches look the same and everthing fits. Anybody else have seen this. Help...... :dunno:

Its a 98 ES fully loaded except moonroof not sure if this helps or not.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,258 Posts
My auto window switch has never worked either. All of the other switches work fine, so I never have messed with it. I have to figure out what controls the "auto" mode, either the switch, the relay or the window motor. If you could find a good schematic of the window circuit, you could find out how the auto window works. I plan to look into mine this week, my car is due for a service anyways. Ill keep ya posted.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,250 Posts
Just to let you know the part number for that switch cluster in black is:5026004AA with an MSRP $52.10 and discounted online at $35.94. With your description of the replacement switch having different problems, I'd say it's bad. Buying a junker that's had the window down/busted out exposes it to the elements and the inside contacts are probably corroded. I'll look into the wiring diagrams. There is a definate detent for the Auto part of the switch that is seperate from the standard down like all the other window switches. I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Windows down

It never worked so I did not bother. But I found this nice shiny silver switch from an LHS so I had to have it. I might just be bad I guess. Need to open it and see the connector. Maybe I should try one from an 300M...lol
Does the auto actualy work or is this come kinf of joke...

·
Woober Goobers!
49,250 Posts
The "Express Down" Auto-Down function of the driver's side window switch cluster is contained within the switch cluster itself. The FSM indicates the switch will automatically disconnect the motor approx. 1 second after the window bottoms out. Failure of the switch to detect stall current will cause the switch to disconnect after aprox. 15 seconds. Auto-down can be canceled by any movement of the switch. From that information the only cause for your problem is the switch. The wiring diagrams show the same wires going to the motor for the two switch functions. My money is on a new switch replacement or a used one that a member has tested.

The Auto-Down window feature has worked in all 5 of my Intrepids...it's no joke.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,250 Posts
If the relay were bad the window wouldn't go up and/or down depending on the function and what was wrong with the relay. If you put your original switch back in..does everything work except Auto-Down like before? It's possible the relay failed at the same time you installed your "new" used switch. The only way to eliminate things is go back to original and then take logical steps forward to eliminate things. I've worked in electronics for 30+ years and found many times you need to go back to the starting point and don't take for granted a part is "good"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Woober Goobers!
49,250 Posts
If your original goes back to the same problem of no Auto-down and this Ebay switch exhibits a completely different problem, I'd say it's bad. The chrome and black switch clusters are the same electrically in all the LH car models. If LKQ offers a warranty on that, I'd go for it. I purchased a cd changer from LKQ and it was defective. A phone call to their 800 number got me a quick refund. Put up a WTB thread in the B/S/T forum and see if someone has one. I remember Avenger having a set for sale. Torontofirecaptain and Gigamight are good sources also you might try and PM them. Try and get your money back from LKQ and ask that the person supplying the replacement specifically checks the Auto-down function.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
nevermind, i was just looking through the 2nd gen service manual, they no longer use the relay for the "AUTO" down feature. it is now internal to the switch. it detects stall current, and cuts out.

see page 8N-21 of the 02 PDF service manual, links to it are in my sig

·
Banned
972 Posts
Yes, it's a bad switch. I've seen it enough times to know it just needs to be replaced. LKQ is generally very good at standing behind their parts, I have a couple of friends in that network so if they give you any hassle about giving you a refund just let me know and I'll make some phone calls for you.

Once you have your money back I would advise getting in on the chrome switch Group buy I am hosting, I can get you a new OEM switch for not much more than you paid for that used one.

Just PM me if you want any assistance.

-Gig

monkeyboyx said:
Yes I did put the old switch back in the door and it works except the auto down.
All the fuses and relays are fine. I just tryed to take the switch apart and its no go...the connects seem to be melted togeter at the factory.

This is auction I got the switch from what do you think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250007379071&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Ebay item: 250007379071

Its probably a bad switch I guess.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,258 Posts
Ronbo said:
Just to let you know the part number for that switch cluster in black is:5026004AA with an MSRP $52.10 and discounted online at $35.94. With your description of the replacement switch having different problems, I'd say it's bad. Buying a junker that's had the window down/busted out exposes it to the elements and the inside contacts are probably corroded. I'll look into the wiring diagrams. There is a definate detent for the Auto part of the switch that is seperate from the standard down like all the other window switches. I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the info Ron! Im glad to know its just contained in the switch.

I would recommend getting something like this new, especially if you can get it for $35. This is news to me, but it seems this is quite common, so the chances of getting a bad switch are high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts