DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.3 has a few problems.....
First off, when my fans turn on, only one fan turns on. The one in front of ac compressor just sits there. Any ideas on how to possibly repair this fan? Also, I'm only getting about 160-180 miles to a full tank of gas. I live in Pittsburgh which is basically a giant hill, and sometimes I can be a bit heavy on the gas ;) , but it should be better than this. My dad also has a 3.3 (97) and he gets about 310-330 miles to a tank, but its mainly highway driving. I was thinking about changing my sparkplugs, would this help?
Problem 3 : Sometimes in the morning it will start right up if parked up hill, (after 3-5 seconds of cranking). Other times, I have to let it crank for 3-5 secs, turn key back, try it again, and even then it wont start. It takes me three times or more to finally get it started. Any ideas on what to do here? could this be a sparkplug related problem too? It is really embarrasing when this happens...but after it starts, theres no trouble at all.
thanks for any input :)

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: gary680 ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
run a tank of fuel injector cleaner and get some new plugs in there, STAT.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
check your plug wires too. Sounds like the car is ready for a 'tune up'. Thats plugs, wires, Filters (Fuel and air), grease everything that needs it,..... anything that is meant to be changed or checked on. Probably a good idea before winter comes on too.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If your reporting your gas mileage correctly, that is horrible! Check your diagnostic codes. I have 180 miles on a 1/2 tank of gas in my 3.5. You should be able to get or get close to 400 miles on a full tank.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I have 135 miles right now and just below a quarter tank....NOT GOOD, the most I ever got was 189 mainly city. Aren't these comparable figures to like maybe a ford excursion? :mad: :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I get about 220-230 miles on a tank in the city. I just drive like a moron. on the hiway, geeze I have never ran one below a quater tank, and U usually have 350+ on it. Its a heavy car, and if you stop/do hills alot, you are going to burning alot of gas

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran the error code check and got:

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
and
62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM
62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

can anyone explain error code 62?

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: gary680 ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Could this be a faulty computer? If no one can answer you here, I would post the same question at allpar.com in the tech help forum. Sounds like you may have found your problem. Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the computer and see if the same codes come up again. You may be able to swap PCM's with your dad's car to see if that helps.

Also, could we please refrain from using the word "FORD" in this forum, there are young ears here. :D

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Mopar4U ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
from the chilton's manual...

MIL code 62: Unsuccessful attempt to update EMR mileage in the PCM EEPROM.

of course the chilton doesn't bother to explain what that means. as suggested, try resetting the computer, driving around, then checking the codes again. maybe on that drive you should head to the chrysler house and find out what the hell is going on.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well...I just disconnected my battery and let it sit for a while. went to check it again, and the error code 62 was gone along with 12. code 35 did show up though:
35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

I already knew about this fan problem, so at least now i know what to look for when going to fix it. oh yeah, I filled up my tank to see if any significant changes were done to the mileage. I doubt resetting pcm will fix this, but its worth a try. I'm also gonna get some new plugs in very soon. thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Mileage is ususally bad for a little bit right after you reset the comp, because it has to re-learn how to 'drive'. But, good luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, which I may be, the second fan is just operating when AC is on check it out.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's sorta how I found out it wasn't working properly. My dad and I were in the garage a few weeks ago with the engine running. When it warmed up, only one fan turned on. he thought this was odd so we checked it on his intrepid, a 97 3.3, and both fans turned on with the ac off. plus, by getting that error code, and having one still turn on, I'm pretty sure they both should work together

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 96 3.3 and both fans came on with the air off. Also I was complaining about 235 miles to a tank during city driving, but I guess that must be the norm for these cars. Hey Gary I know what you mean about the hills in Pittsburgh, I live in Fairmont,WV about 80 miles south of you and I make several trips up your way. You actually have stores and malls we have Walmart. Good luck with the car.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...monday night I replaced my sparkplugs with Champions hoping this might solve some of my problems. Nothing. Still a rough start. Called the dealer today to ask about my fan problem and they want $554.00 to replace my entire fan setup. If I wanted the individual motor for the left fan, it would be $114.00.....I dont know if the motor is the problem or not though. The fan is physically disconnected from everything and just sittin around inside there. I'm gonna take it apart soon and see if there is any way to reattach the fan if that is the problem. If not, it looks like I'm gonna be heading off to the junkyard..... 554 US DOLLARS + TAX!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well Gary680, If you already replaced the plugs with no sucess, I'd replace the fuel filter. If that filter gets slightly clogged, it'll seriously affect starting performance. They're easy to do, under the right side of the car, just in front of the fuel tank, but sorta to the side a bit. Just follow the lines, you'll see it. No special tools required to change them, just be careful with the plastic coupler, if it breaks, you're screwed.

Your code 62 has to deal with a little quirky thing that these cars do. The PCM figures out how many miles it THINKS the car has on it and compares how many it DOES have on. To do this calculation, every time you shut down, it writes the current mileage in an "EEPROM" (Electronic Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory). What happened is that for some reason, it couldn't write down what it wanted. Nothing to worry about too much, unless you're guilty of odometer fraud! :eek:

Cooling fans on these cars run two different circuits, low and high. Low speed runs at 220 degrees, high kicks in if low ain't cutting it or when there's a high demand for airflow through the rad/condenser. Do the fans work with the A/C on? I had a problem where the high speed fan wasn't working but it turned out to be a bad A/C pressure sensor! Changed a stupid little thing and all's well!

Hope I didn't throw too much info at ya! And I hope it helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I would have used Bosch +4s for plugs. They are a better plug. If you gotta change the ECM then maybe you could get a new one from Superchips. If your gonna fix it might as well fix it to last and use GOOD stuff.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fan problem fixed!!!

called up a junkyard and got the cooling fan setup from a 93 vision. installed it tonight and so far it works ok. after looking at my old one, it seems like the clip that holds the impeller on fell off, which would result in the impeller just sitting there. my dad is going to mess around with it and see if it can be repaired. I'm just glad I got it fixed for 160 bucks and didn't have to pay 554 to the dealer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts