DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 Intrepid that supposedly has the remote lock option but a remote control was never supplied....
I bought a new remote off Ebay but do not know how to program it.. The owners manual only describes adding additional remotes if you already have one to start with..
Help!

·
Registered
207 Posts
i bought some off of ebay too and my friend/parts manager at the dealership told me ill have to bring em in to get them programmed to the car. each car runs on a specific frequency and the remotes have to be programmed to that car. half n hour of labour or so is what theyd charge me to get it done. of course my car is off the road for the winter so itll have to wait til spring.
took my k-car for a boot ... what a heap ...
got me where i wanted to go tho. mind you a HELL of a lot slower. forgot how totallly gutless that thing is compared to the intrepid, think pushing a sled might be faster :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the dealer yesterday and was told the same thing.. 1/2 Hr. labor..
Was just wondering.. Did all Intrepids have the remote lock option standard but only activated if you bought a remote control for it??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes they all have the capability for key-less entry. Some have additional security features that work with the FOB. I got this chip that slips in under the dash. It all works with the chip built into the keys. So, even your keys have to be made at the dealer. Hope the FOB you bought works. They have a high failure rate. Dealer may tell you that the FOB is no good and can't be programmed. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My second remote, supplied with the car, does not work. I've always assumed I'd need to get a battery for it. Do you think it just needs programmed? :confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've just paid $47.00 for the programming of a new remote I needed to buy because my daughter dropped one of the old ones into the sewer. That's above the $41.00 they charged for the remote itself.
I think that was highway robbery and I told them so when they had the nerv to call me up and ask me about my "experiance" at the repair shop!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like RapidTramsit my second remote did not work the day I picked up my new car. They were busy so I figured I would reprogram it with the one that works following the steps in the users manual. Since that did not work I had to drop off the car so they could reprogram a new one (under warranty). Just a side note they usually don't tell you about the FOB's. You have to use them at least once a month. If you let one sit for more than a month they will lose their programming.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Well I don't know about all this 'must be used once a month' business, but I do know that if they're a 'rolling code' transmitter (not unlike any recent-year garage door opener), then yes, there is a *slight* chance that a transmitter that hasn't been used in a *long* period of time can become inoperable and will need to be reprogrammed to the car.

In a nutshell - here's why:

Both the fob and the receiver in the car use the same 'random' number generator to generate the 'rolling' code that's impossible to predict. I say 'random' because it's not truly random, but close enough.

When the fob sends a signal, it generates a new code for next time. Likewise, the car, when receiving a valid signal, will generate a new code, which (since they use the same generator) will be identical. Hence, they are in 'sync'. Now how does this work with multiple transmitters?

Well - the receiver in the car will accept any of the next 256 possible codes that the transmitter might generate. This way if you're 'button happy' and press "lock" a number of times while you're away from the car, it will still work even though they are no longer perfectly 'synchronized'.

However - if you've not used a particular fob to do any of the previous 256 functions (lock/unlock/trunk/panic?), then it could stop working completely and need to be manually re-sync'd. So if you typically lock or unlock your doors 256 times in a month, then yes, monthly would be required. :)

I can't believe that Dodge would require a visit to the dealer to add/remove a fob to a car. Some cars you just have to turn the ignition on and off like, 8 times, press a button on the transmitter(s) you wish to program to your car, and presto?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went to Chrysler today and let them try to program my system to the transmitter I got.. Guess what... All Intrepids DO NOT have the remote lock module installed factory :( I spent some time with the service guys and parts figuring out that my vehicle has the base model Body Module that does not work with a remote lock module.. I would have to buy the premium Body Module ( $350.00) plus the lock module kit ( $140.00 ).. I guess turning the key is no big deal after all!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just paid $47.00 for the programming of a new remote I needed to buy because my daughter dropped one of the old ones into the sewer. That's above the $41.00 they charged for the remote itself.
In Kyle's moms voice: what What WHAT?!

$88?! I'd be on the phone with Chrysler ASAFP. That should have cost you $25 total and nothing more. It's right in the manual, and even if you didn't have it - everyone in a self-respecting shop would know that programming it takes a minute and is easy as pie. "Here's the remote.... page 12 in the manual explains how to activate it." Instead they steal 50+ dollars for this simple, routine task that probably gets done quite a bit.

Someone walks in and says..... "Uh, yea I need another remote thingy" and they see dollar signs.

I think that was highway robbery and I told them so when they had the nerv to call me up and ask me about my "experiance" at the repair shop!
LOL! That's part of them being "5 Star certified", that "calling you back" thing. If I were you I'd call DC at 1-800-992-1997 and let them know you're pissed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Russ - all body controllers should have the spot for the key less entry module to be plugged into, not sure why your dealer says different .As for programming , do it yourself . its in the manual!! Don't pay the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts