DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an looking into putting a 3.5 engine and trans into a 1969 VW Karmin Ghia. I have done some rough measuring and if I mid mount the engine and trans it can be done with a lot of work.

What I need is some info about the engines and trans.
What year was the aluminum engines 2.7 3.2 3.5?
What is considered the better engines? I have read the post about performance modifications in the 1st gen forum.
For the trans, is the 2.7 trans the same as the 3.5 with the exception of the final drive ratio?
What would be the minimum electronics to run the engine and trans combo?
What are the phiscial dimensions of the engine and trans?

Anything you can tell me would be appricated
Brian

·
Banned
338 Posts
I would not mess w/ the 2.7 at all. 3.2, 3.5 should be good. I would get a whole car so you can pick what you need off of it and then get rid of the hulk. If you are hurting for space, you need the entire engine wireharness and computer plus the wirng harness to the tranny and the electronics for it.

the reason that I say get the entire car is that there might be brackets and mounts on the car that you can adapt to your needs, and you will hve them without having to pay extra for them.

Good luck, and show us pics :p

AJ

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
you'd need all 3 computers, and not to mention if you plan on mounting the engine and stock trans in the stock location in the VW.. you'll have 4 speeds reverse and 1 forward..

just fyi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on doing a mid mount with the engine where the back seat would have been. I will also use the stock VW rear suspension and brakes. I whill nee to have custom CV axeel made up with chrysler inner cv's and VW outtercv's.( Might use Porsch 930 cv's they are stringer and have a better range of operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.