DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys, I'm going to reinstall Win2K on all of my home networked computers. (Server on my main computer and I'm going to RIS 2KPro to my other two)

Why? Well, I had originally updated my main computer to 2K from 98 and want to put a clean install of Server on it now so I can get a little more practice in a real network environment as opposed to a workgroup.

Plus, I want to try out the Remote Installation because that's something I'm going to have to do once I get myself an IT job. The other 2 computers are running 98 right now so I'm going to zap the drives. They have PXE NIC cards, so let's see if this thing really works like it says it does. If I can't figure it out, I'll just manually install them. But dammit...I'm determined!!!

Ain't technology fun? As soon as I finally figure all the 2K crap out...I'll have to get recertified for XP! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, nevermind that project. The two machines that I have running 98 have 1.99 GB HD's. And what's the bare minimum size HD you can have running Win2K? That's right! a 2GB. As per my teacher, it doesn't matter if you have 1.99GB..if it ain't 2GB, it ain't gonna work. (??) Of course, with my luck I would be off by a MB or two.

I didn't realize they were that old! They are 333MHz PII's. But lady luck didn't smile on me on the HD size. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :( I ain't gonna cough up any cash right now for new HD's.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I never knew that HD limitation. Is this documented anywhere? Where in the installation does win2k not allow it? When creating the NTFS partitions? Before? After?

Now that i think about it... maybe that is true. Not that I ever had a HD less than 2gig to install win2k. But I believe in the past ive tried to install win2k and create a partition less than 2gig.

Oh well.

If you really want a network project to do... right now im working on a little project of my own... I registered DJPILL.COM and I am building a network from scratch.

I have a spare T1 at the job, and I am simulating building a network for a job from scratch. I installed the primary win2k server thats running DNS. I pointed DNS for DJPILL.COM to that server. Loaded active directory. Will eventually turn on the web server service... and host my "future" website from that server.

Today I just built a second win2k server. Gonna load Exchange 2000 on it. Will have to get the mail routing with DNS. Should be a lot of fun.

**** I even added my Quake3 server I have sitting on this T1 to my DNS. You can play some quake3 CTF if u have friends on my server at quake.djpill.com hehehehe

Now thats a challenge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
I have a spare T1 at the
Those darn pesky spare T1's...

I assume that if your company has the resources to have a spare T1 to let you use that they will also be firewalling it for you. If not, you may want to look into putting one up so they don't can you. :D

If you need any technical input just post away and I'll see what I can do. I've setup quite a large number of networks in the past using all sorts of equipment and software.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, DJPill...must be nice to have a spare T1. Never really got into Quake...hmmm..maybe I'll find a new hobby!

Sucks about my HD's. But no biggie. I'm going to start a new project: "Operation Infinite Storage" That'll show those pesky requirements who's the boss! ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
Sucks about my HD's. But no biggie. I'm going to start a new project: "Operation Infinite Storage" That'll show those pesky requirements who's the boss! ;)
You know...I'd be surprised if W2K didn't install on your drives. You mention that the sizes are 1.99GB for them. If that is the size returned by Windows Explorer then you should be good to go as the drive sizes are actually larger. The capacity returned by Windows Explorer only shows the usable space after the FAT has been laid down. To see the true capacity, either look at what your BIOS reports during POST or look on the manufacturer's site.

I'm also skeptical about the installation process puking on itself if it doesn't see a 2GB drive as the OS and swapfile shouldn't take up more than 1.5GB in an average scenario. Also, NT/W2K/XP let you choose your NTFS cluster size when formatting which may help you if it does puke on the default size.

If you're feeling adventurous, go ahead and blow a machine away and try to install W2K on it.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cj, I did what you said and in the post report it says I have a 3021MB Fixed Disk.

Can that be right?...that equals out to about 2.95GB...Can Windows really be off by a full GB? Hmmmm...maybe I will try this install.

What I will probably do is go ahead use the "checkupgradeonly" utlity and see what it says. If it doesn't spit back at me that it won't work, then I'll do it.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
cj, I did what you said and in the post report it says I have a 3021MB Fixed Disk.

Can that be right?...that equals out to about 2.95GB...Can Windows really be off by a full GB?
I doubt that Windows is misreporting the drive capacity by that much, but I do believe that your BIOS reports the correct capacity. What has probably happened is that the drives were formatted with FAT16 - which has a 2GB limit in a DOS/Win9x environment - and the remaining portion of the drives were left unpartitioned. To see if the entire drive has been partitioned, you can either excecute FDISK.EXE from the command line (if you want to make changes make sure you have booted from a floppy disk) and see whats what or if you prefer to not go into the FDISK GUI you could type "FDISK /STATUS" from the command prompt - minus the quotes. This will give you a quick 'n dirty little table of how your disk(s) are partitioned. If you need help interpretting it, just post the output of the "FDISK /STATUS" command and I'll give you the scoop.

Note: FDISK.EXE can seriously hose your data - they don't call it "F"DISK for nothing. :D If you aren't familiar with what it does and how to use it, I highly recommend you use the "FDISK /STATUS" command as there is no way to may any changes with it. The status parameter is informational only.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks cj, I had realized it last night before reading this. We think alike!

The computer came preloaded from the factory with W98. I never even bothered to check if it was FAT32. How dumb of these manufacturers. They give you a 3GB drive and make the file system FAT16 which can only read up to 2 GB.

STUPID!!!! Oh well, at least I can load up Win2K now! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts