DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on like a $250 budget, no amps or subs. This is what I'm thinking of, any comments welcome. Kenwood KDC-MP4032 CD/MP3 Headunit, Memphis Audio PRC-3 3.5" dash speakers (already have from previous car), Pioneer TS-G970M 6x9's for the rear and maybe Kenwood KFC-1379ie for the doors (on sale at Crutchfield for $39.99).
Any advice?
Also, how do you replace the dash speakers?

RD

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
leave the dash speakers alone, and blow your load on the door speakers. With such a small budget, I'd suggest maybe looking at buying a used headunit from a friend or something and then spending $100 on some quality door speakers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
what would you suggest as a "quality" brand door speaker if the kenwood unit he referenced is not?

although that question sounds sarcastic, it's really not. I hear a lot of good stuff about kenwood. is it simply that it's a lower output kenwood?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. It's essentially their lowest model. The name isn't the only thing that matters when you're shopping around for speakers. While I'd bet it will sound better than factory, I wouldnt expect much.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm looking for a mild upgrade, but without knowing the wattage on the stock door speakers it's hard to say what would be better or by how much.

any idea? I'm thinking something between 50 and 100 watts should give them some punch without hitting my wallet too hard.

·
Registered
467 Posts
thanks bro, can't beat that bang for the buck.

I have the infinity sail speakers, would you recoommend replacing the sails with the tweeters, or using the tweeters in addition to the door speakers and the sails?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
id curious to start a thread asking people (serious audio buffs only) what they feel is the best "bang for buck" set of components. Maybe put a $200 price limit on it or something.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gazetowardthesky said:
Yeah, pretty much. It's essentially their lowest model. The name isn't the only thing that matters when you're shopping around for speakers. While I'd bet it will sound better than factory, I wouldnt expect much.
OK, then can you recommend door speakers under $50? Also, how hard is it to fit 6-1/2"s in the door. And on the Memphis 3.5's I already have them from my previuos car and itd be a shame to waste $40 some bux, right? They shold sound better than stock, right? Also, I got no reply on how to swap dash speakers or remove the dash.

THX

RD

·
Registered
467 Posts
95, I think I can answer a couple of those questions...

the door speakers (in the door, not the sail panel) are 6.5" rounds, so replacing them with 6.5" rounds should be pretty much direct drop.

the memphis 3.5's depend on what RMS they are rated at, what kind of amp you have (can it give them that RMS), and what kind of wire you run to it (can the wire carry that RMS). if the system RMS (the capability of the amp, wires, and speaker) are greater than what you have now, you will certainly get more out of them. generally speaking though, a 6.5 will trounce a 3.5

[someone correct me if I'm wrong, trying to give a little back here soaking in a lot over the past days/couple dozen threads]

as far as under $50, component speakers in the door are going to sound better. now that I see what components look like, I realized the previous owner of my probe replaced the door speakers with components (essentially a 6.5" speaker + a 1" tweeter + the wiring to run it) and it sounds much better than a straight 6.5" speaker.

good component speaker on ebay: as suggested by other members

http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-CWM6-KIT-6-5-COMPONENT-KIT_W0QQitemZ5879416273QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also see this thread:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68349

·
Registered
467 Posts
also to answer your last question. there is a single speaker in the center of the dash. no one has reccommended upgrading it, or even amplifying it. in fact, most have went out of the way to say ignore it.

seven speakers with the infinity system:

2 in doors (6.5")
2 in rear decklid (6"x9")
2 in sail panels (2")
1 in center of dash (?")
1 stock amp

·
Registered
467 Posts
sorry, my answers were 2gens. doh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts