DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See my Prowler Pro Gear Install on my 2000 Intrepid ES :baaa:
This is for all of you wondering how the Prowler Pro gears will work on the front wheel drive Intrepid. I just had to post this because there were a couple of people here who didn't believe me when I told them that I was the FIRST Intrepid owner to have 3.42 Prowler Pro gears. Well I took pictures when I, yes I, installed the gears and tosed out the old 2.68 gears. The reason I waited soo long to show people on this forum is because I wanted to get *actual* numbers for the improvements. MAN, let me tell you, you will not believe the difference these gears will have until you have them. The day I put them on I couldn't wait to take a test drive, I went over to the nearest empty parking lot and pulled a brake torque burnout, I nearly wet myself!:crazy: The real test was a day later when my friend in his Grand Prix GT rolled up next to me at a light. This guy had an underdrive pulley, power chip and some ricey exhaust. The light turned green and my wheels spun all the way through the intersection. After I passed him about a half a block down, he flashed his high beams at me to flag me down. He was always able to beat me before so he was curious what I had done, when I told him he didn't realize that gears give you soo much more of a jump even on a V-6. I still havn't been able to take it to the track, it's winter ya know. But since then I have added Borla cat-back duel exhaust(discontinued), K&N off road Intake(not the drop in), Under drive pulley, and I just ordered the JET chip with stage 2 power shift program. Once I take it to the track I post a timeslip. What I can say is my 0-60 time droped about 1 second after putting in the gears!:cool:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
2000 Black Intrepid ES said:
What I can say is my 0-60 time droped about 1 second after putting in the gears!:cool:
Holy ****! If that is true, than that'll make the R/T a mid 6 second 0-60 car! Sweet! :eek: :biggrin: I'm sure that'll surprise these new Altimas and Maximas. :D

Now what is this underdrive pulley thing you speak of? :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That is really sweet man. I think I was at your website before. I saw some info on the gear install. Keep us posted on those track times. I would be interested in seeing the difference on the 60' time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Now the sad part, go to your local scrap yard, find a 2.7 L intrepid and take the gears. They are the same as the "Prowler Gears"

So , how did you change them withe the crossmember in the way? Does the crossmember come off easy?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry GR8WHT ,2.7 gears and the Prowler Pro gears are not the same at all. The ration is much deeper and the gears are designed to take high power loads, the 2.7 gears are narrower than the 3.2 gears (.625 in). If you think the cross member is in the way, well it is, thats why you take it off its not hard.

Just visit my website the whole install is laid out step-by-step.

·
Registered
973 Posts
2000blkes - FYI, the 2.7L gears are the exact same ones used in the 300M Special. The Prowler gears are a deeper ratio, I'm sure, but the 2.7L gears are a ton less expensive. I did some checking on those Prowler gears and even posted that I thought the exhaust and crossmember issues could not be overcome. But you did it, posted good install instructions too! One word of advice - don't dis people so quickly. You can make a point without the jab. GR8WHT is a long time guru here and when people dis a long time friend, others take note of that. Just my $.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
From some notes taken last year on another web-site (can't remember whether it was a Trep, 300M or Prowler site):

300M Stock Gears (also used by 3.2L and 3.5L Treps):

1st 2.84
2nd 1.57
3rd 1.00
4th 0.69
Final Drive 3.66
Overall Top Gear 2.52

300M "Special" which uses gears in 2.7L and also in stock Prowler:

1st 2.84
2nd 1.57
3rd 1.00
4th 0.69
Final Drive 3.89
Overall Top Gear 2.68

Prowler Pro Gears yield a 27% increase in RPM versus stock.

The 2.7L Gears used on the 300M Special and stock Prowler yield a 6% increase in RPM versus stock.

Bottom line: The Prowler Pro gears should significantly improve performance over stock or 2.7L/300M Special gears, albeit with less MPG and more db of noise at highway speeds.

I'd sure like to see some real quantifiable 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile times for each of the three (stock gears, 300M Specia/2.7L gears, and Prowler Pro).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Man, someone send me some Prowler Pro gears. I got a pretty handy friend to help me install them and I hit the 1/4 mile at least monthly! I'd be more than happy to provide quantifiable numbers with the new gears. Let's take up a collection for the Brad's Prowler Pro gear fund :)

Man I'd bet you could easily run 14's in the R/T with those gears if 2000 Black ES's 0-60 improvement is correct.

·
Registered
973 Posts
OK, had the sit down with the big-wig mainland service guy. During the talk I asked about installing 2.7L gears. He said that will not void the warranty. Now I see that there is only a 6% change! I'm pretty sure the prowler gears will viod the warranty from the way he spoke, but only if they think the gearing change caused the failure. Just like an intake ... gotta be sure that mod caused the failure.
- BRAD- I think our poor cousin on Guam (ME!) is the most likely person to choose for the gear test. So, I'm cutting in line.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No way Don, you don't even have a track to test them on there! Man I just wish I could convince the wife to let me get those things.....if I could run 14's in this thing I'd love the car even more!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bboucher if you did all the modifications that he did.

Im sure you will be in the mid 14's. And if you put a chip to it maybe, that might get you into the low 14's.

but the question would be how reliable will the car even be??:blush: :blush:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
if he just does the gears.. it would be JUST as reliable as it is now.
atcually, for normal everyday driving, those gears save wear and tear on the tranny... it doesn't have to work as hard.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
would the Prowler Pro's be cool for a 2.7L........? Is it not worth it for the 2.7L......? How much are these gears???? Void warranty huh.......?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Longevity

Lafred made a good point, i noticed that whenever I normally drive the car moderate acceleration is much easier in any gear, but its most exciting on the highway :p

When I floor it at about 60 and drop a gear in auto stick my ass sticks to the seat. When I floor it from 0 to whatever Its common that the wheels while chip or squeel as I shift into 2nd gear. I haven't yet been able to chirp 3rd. It really gets a lot of attention when I shift into second under full throttle!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey guy, some questions please.........

Where are your RPM's when crusing at around 70MPH normally on the freeway with the Prowler Pro Gears........?

My 2.7L w/3.89's are at about 3,000RPM...........

How has this affected your fuel economy......?

How did the Tranny Controller take the Pro Gears upgrade.......?

WTF!!?? $1400.00.....?? Sorry but it sounds like they are really taking advantage figuring that if you can afford a Prowler, well you can afford the gears...... This is the same thing ASE has done with there chip for the Prowler. It was like $700.00 while the 3.5L 300M/RT's was like $309.00. I think they need to cut the cost of the gears to like $750.00 or something. A little unreasonable if you ask me. I'd like to try them in my 2.7L but there aint no freakin' way I can do $1400.00. I'll have to kill that one for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also interested in your pulley upgrade, is the pully the same on the 2.7L.........? How much for this.......? Is this safe.....? Could this hurt anything.....? Does this effect any of the sensors....?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah I'm all for the upgrade except for the ridiculous $1400 price tag. I bet I could have a local machine make new gears for half of that price, hardening and all. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, thanks for sharing your info, I have some questions.....

Where are your RPM's when crusing at around 70MPH normally on the freeway with the Prowler Pro Gears........?

My 2.7L w/3.89's are at about 2,500RPM...........

How has this affected your fuel economy......?

How did the Tranny Controller take the Pro Gears upgrade.......?

I'm also interested in your pulley upgrade, is the pully the same on the 2.7L.........? How much for this.......? Is this safe.....? Could this hurt anything.....?

Information would really be appreciated......!

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Originally posted by MoparPerformance
I'm also interested in your pulley upgrade, is the pully the same on the 2.7L.........? How much for this.......? Is this safe.....? Could this hurt anything.....? Does this effect any of the sensors....?
A pulley wouldn't mess up sensors. An underdrive pulley is just that, it spins the accesories at a slightly slower rate to reduce load on the engine, freeing up the parasitic drag and a couple hp.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, well I did and didn't realize I got an answer.............? These are things myself and others would probably like to know. Post about and some are gonna ask about it......

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't paying attention. I was under the impression he already had the JET chip.

Thanks for the explanation LHSer. I am asuming the pulley thing couldn't cause any problems then.....?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts