DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic of Prowler Pro Gears came up in another thread and I have a question. I thought I would create a new thread for this instead of posting my question in the other thread.

What are the benefits to these gears? I have heard a little bit about them and read some great comments from people who have put them in their Prowler. They all said the were happy with them and that performance is improved, but I have yet to see any "numbers". Well, the numbers I did see was that the shift points happened sooner and that the RPMs were higher at cruising at 80mph. How does this increase the performance?

Thanks for the help.

-chase

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think the gears are more for lower end. For the amount of power you may be able to get at eayser is not going to be worth the price and the cost of gas having your engine revs high whal cruisin down the highway.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
It ends up giving you a shorter gear ratio which increases off the line performance, lowering 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

I think it is a good investment actually. Especially if you are looking to make your car as quick as you can, a little extra squirt off the line at the sacrifice of 600rpm higher at speed is paltry.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Those gears are expensive and very difficult to get at. The cover that needs to be pulled to change them is "hidden" by a crossmember as well as all of the exhaust pipes. Then there is the problem of the speedo error. They sell a thing that corrects the error, but the Email I got from them said it is Prowler specific so some creative cutting and splicing would be needed. Since our cars are top speed heavy, I agree that a bit of loss at that end is OK to gain at the lower end. But it would be a tough swap, at least for a wrench challenged guy like me!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
aren't prowler's RWD? how would those gears fit into our rides being FWD?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
thats the crazy part... Prowlers are RWD, but use the same engine/drivetrain as the 3.5L 'treps. there is just a driveshaft in there that is a bit longer to get to the rear differential. I haven't seen one up close, but I have seen some layouts online... it seems to be all the same stuff.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Its the same engine same transmission, etc. The transmission is just located at the rear of the Prowler.

Don, those are valid points, but if you are willing and wanting the added performance, you wouldn't let those things stand in your way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by gary680:
I always thought the speed was calculated at the wheels and not by how many rpm's you're running at??? anyone know?
Speedometers used to be calculated at or after the output shaft of the transmission, not the wheels, although it would be a similar ratio. However, with the newer cars and more computer power, they could read the RPMs and gear, and calculate it fairly quickly. I guess it depends upon whether the car has a mechanical or electrical speedo connection -- and I would bet on electrical...

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK... so where is this guy?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I Emailed him to ask a few questions, so far no answer. I hope he does get back to me. He did the gears in a non-R/T! Also I read somewhere that the '02 R/T got the same gears as the 300M Special, but I find that hard to believe. Those are 2.7L gears I think and they'd be a bunch cheaper than "prowler".

·
Registered
973 Posts
The 2.7 gears are not the same ratio, nor are they as strong as those prowler gears must be. From the photos that I've seen, the prowlers are much wider and the "chain" thing is one piece rather than a two piece unit. Hoever, the 2.7 gears are a heck of a lot less expensive. Since I can't guess the ratio and I have no manual to check, it's purely guess on my part that the 2.7's would be a great bang considering the low bucks. I have a bunch of warranty left, so I'm gonna ask my dealer if they change to official DC gears (2.7) will it void it or not. OH, the guy Emailed me back. He has a 3.2L and with gears, intake and exhaust mods he gets 0-60 in 7.6. Hmmmm

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Don:
I have a bunch of warranty left, so I'm gonna ask my dealer if they change to official DC gears (2.7) will it void it or not. OH, the guy Emailed me back. He has a 3.2L and with gears, intake and exhaust mods he gets 0-60 in 7.6. Hmmmm
I'd be interested in what the dealer says.

I wonder what the R/T would do with those mods??? Maybe low 7's?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A cheaper way is to but smaller tires in front it does the same thing. I ran 15.1 `s with my R/T at the track. My speedo is less than 2 mph off with the Bridgestone Potenza`s 225/45/RZ/17 i but on. A total of 300 bucks on sale. Plus the my R/T handles much better and the wet weather traction is way better than the stock tires.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Warlord 187 wait untill spring they are not so good in the snow and ice. But in the rain they are much better than the stock tires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yesterday, I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire. They are a perfect balance between high peformance Z rated and excellent all weather traction. In a 300M with the Performance Suspension, they corner like it's on rails. Hasn't rained yet, so can't comment yet, but Michelin gives them their highest rating for Wet, Snow and Ice, and Dry Traction. They are a little firmer than the Michelin XGTV4s I had before, but ride is still good and they are about the same on road noise, which is way better than Goodyear equiped LH sedans.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts