DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the PH8A oil filter on my 2.7l. I saw ground clearance would be decreased and I was thinking, "Well I don't off road it or anything so I should be fine." Well long story short, I went up one of those ramps at the entrance to a parking lot a little bit fast and it dragged it on the ground. I lost all 5qts. in about 20 feet of driving. I had the car towed to the dealer.

Just trying to be helpful to someone before they make the same D.A.M. I did and pay for a $100 oil change.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So I installed the PH8A oil filter on my 2.7l... and it dragged it on the ground. I lost all 5qts. in about 20 feet of driving.
If you were a member of the SouthEast crew I would call you a dumbass and laugh at you.
But since I can't take that liberty with you, I will say that I am glad there wasn't any permanent harm/damage. Did you hear it or was it the low oil pressure light that tipped you off?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you were a member of the SouthEast crew I would call you a dumbass and laugh at you.
But since I can't take that liberty with you, I will say that I am glad there wasn't any permanent harm/damage. Did you hear it or was it the low oil pressure light that tipped you off?
I imagine when the oil filter was suddenly ripped open, any oil pressure that was above the filter dropped to nothing in a short span of seconds, so the light probably came on nearly immediately. I've seen an oil filter with a pin hole in it and with the motor running it sprayed all over the place. I can only imagine what it would be like to tear one open dragging across the pavement. "Iceburg dead ahead".

·
Registered
689 Posts
Back when I was 17 I had a 77 Olds Cutlass rocket 350 needed work you know the story-well I went to the local neighborhood parts store, the owners father who asked me 10 times if it was an Olds motor or Chevy motor hands me an oil filter I grab 5 quarts of oil and go home. drain oil, pull off old filter(I did not check it after all I told the old guy 10 times what engine I had) start up the car and heard a loud splurt noise, low oil light came on-shut off the engine and found all 5 quarts in a puddle under the car.
Long story short-even after being asked 10 times he still handed me a Chevy oil filter-owner made it up to me gave me new filter and new oil for mistake-next time his dad waited on me I double checked the filter before I left.
Tom

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Back when I was 17 I had a 77 Olds Cutlass rocket 350 needed work you know the story-well I went to the local neighborhood parts store, the owners father who asked me 10 times if it was an Olds motor or Chevy motor
Back in the days when there were Olds motors, Chevy motors, Pontiac motors. That's gotta be at least 40 years ago, right? Since late 60's or early 70's its been all "GM" motors.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Supposedly the Oldsmobile engines made more torque per cubic inch than anyone else's engines. I know for a while, in the homebuilt aircraft scene, there were several kits to convert v-8 car engines into aircraft engines. The preferred favorite was the Olds small-block, because of their low-rpm torque.

Jim Snover

It was the mid 70's when GM started putting in Chevy 350's in everything as a substatute for the Pont,Olds,Buick 350's. IMHO the Olds motor was much better
than the Chevy.
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Other same thing happened to my daughter's car she said that the car just lost power and died. we got it home replaced oil and filter. When trying to start the car the battery acts like it is low on charge. Maybe rotating the engine a lil. We have tested the battery and it is fully charged, but it still won't cranck over fully. Anyone have any idea what is going on

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
Dude....you posted another thread where the oil filter fell off and you lost all the engine oil and the engine died. The engine is seized. Seems in this thread you conveniently forgot to mention the engine was run without oil !!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
Get a compression check done.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
"If it was siezed/locked up why does the engine turn over"

Have you verified the crankshaft moves? How far does it move. A full rotation? More? Less?

"Maybe rotating the engine a lil" How much movement is a "lil" ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts