DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question to all the trep owners who have or have had a street bike before.

Next summer Ièm thinking about picking up myself a crotch rocket, but as I will be new to bikes, would it be a bewtter idea to look at smaller sized (i.e. 250 or 450 vs. 750 or 900) or does it matter, and also I will be looking at used decent bikes or brand new, not overly sure as of yet tho.. any insight on what to steer clear of and brand prefernce due to handling or reliability would be very appreciated..

Thank you
Tim

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iève started looking, do you think maybe a Hayabusa is a bad idea off the jump..? or should I try out a 750 GSXr first?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think you should look at 600cc bikes. Not too powerful but they pack a good punch and a beginner can handle them. I like the Suzuki GSXR or Honda CBR. Both are reliable bikes.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Iève started looking, do you think maybe a Hayabusa is a bad idea off the jump..?
Not only is it a bad idea, it's plain stupid

Think of it this way, what would you of been like with a 1000+ HP RWD car as the first thing you drove? Correct, you would be dead.

The Busa is a monster and it is a heavy bike as well, not a beginners model no matter how you look at it

First bikes should be 600CC or less, you can always go bigger as your riding improves

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes total sense really lol, tho the first car i drove wasnt exactly stock either...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Yeah, agree. Start with a 600. I did, (as far as crotch rockets are concerned) and bought one with a few mods done, (cams and exhaust) so it has alot of torque like the larger cc bikes. It tops out at 174 MPH, 0-60 2.7 seconds. Unless you are doing lots of long trips, or racing, 600 is plenty, esp for a new rider.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any bikes, ( other than large displacement bikes) that I should avoid like the plague? I dont really plan on anything older than 2k3 really, but there alot of different bikes to look at, and I will be looking at occasional long trips, but mostly just in a bigger city, a fun fuel saver for city driving per say, but for the summer months

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Ninja 600R was the best bike I ever owned. I plan on getting a ZX11 next summer (maybe not now that my stocks are in the shitter).

Anything larger than a 600 as a starter is suicide. And please don't be an organ donor..wear a helmet!! I have lost three guys I went to school ('89) with due to motorcycle accidents. 2 most likely would have lived if they had theirs on. One actually had his in the helmet holder!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just my opinions as a a long time rider:

Realize that any fully faired bike will be $$$$ to insure

Kawasaki ZX-6R - Super quick but have to be revved like a chainsaw plus cramped as hell. Not condusive to a beginning rider.

Suzuki GSXR 600 - Cramped as well but proven reliability

Yamaha R6 - Again a lot of power but only as higher revs. Not a "learner bike"

Honda 600RR - Most street worthy of the current 600's

My main concern is that you are a new rider. Just because these things are "only 600's" don't think they won't get you in trouble in a damn hurry. Check out an AMA Supersport race some time and see what these "little 600's" can do.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My dad's buddy has a 'Busa with only a Yoshi pipe on it and it still scares him sometimes, and this guy has been riding for 30+ years.

I would probably start with a Kawi 500 Ninja or something, and then go to a 600. Cycle World absolutely cannot say enough good things about the 250/500 Ninjas. You will fool most people into thinking that you have a "real" motorcycle, and they are fast enough to have fun on.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Go with a good 600. Don't go out and buy something brand new though...there are a lot of good deals to be had for a nice looking used 600. With anything on 2 wheels, it's likely to end up on its side at some point. You'll be a lot less pissed if you dump a used 600 than a brand new one. Practice up on the used one and when you're ready for something new or bigger, you'll have no trouble selling it back to someone else as a starter bike. Or keep it in your "stable" for times when another licensed (and trusted) friend wants to ride along.
I rode a '98 CBR 600 F3 for several years and up to the time that i sold it, i was still able to scare myself on it. You can't really go wrong with any of the big 3 (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki) when it comes to a 600. The CBR, GSXR, and Ninja platforms are all solid and should offer you many years of happy riding. Some of this depends on your build too. You don't wanna be out there looking like a golf ball sitting on a tee. I saw some huge ass guy on a little 600 last weekend. Looked rediculous. I actually felt bad for the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You don't wanna be out there looking like a golf ball sitting on a tee. I saw some huge ass guy on a little 600 last weekend. Looked rediculous. I actually felt bad for the motorcycle.
My dad has a little 50cc 2 stroke Derbi GPR that he has for a racebike. He is like 6' 4" and 240 lbs. and golf ball on a tee would fit that perfectly lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the Suzuki SV650, they are very good bikes for beginners, its a vtwin, good torque and enough power to have some fun. Check the Kawa ninja 650 also, its about the same but its newer, or maybe buy a used ninja 500 to start with so if you drop it it won't matter as much, they are still quick bikes, the 500 is in the high 12s and the 650 low 12 so its fast enough.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend a 600 as they are peaky engines and its more clutch work, its also pretty darn fast for a starter bike, I know its only 600 but they are in the 11s lol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Um you should go with the Suzuki GSXR-600
1.its beautiful
2.its got balls
3.handles like a dream
and 4. Kawa is only good for dirt bikes and Yamaha sucks and just **** honda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts