DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This has probably been asked before but I just need a quick straight solid answer. I have been looking for certain models of Rockford Fosgate amplifiers that, out of bad timing, have been discontinued and are now only available through eBay sellers either brand new or discounted refurbished models. I'd love to stay with my current ideas and use the original amplifiers I wanted to have, since they would work with my system perfectly. Should I have a concern about a refurbished amplifier? Basically I'm looking at 2 amps, 1 is like 150 new and 110 refurb, the other is 160 refurb and 200 new. So its basically a 40 dollar difference (numbers rounded). It would save a little cash, as long as they include everything. Should I go for it? What about refurbed subs or speakers?

Josiah

·
Registered
72 Posts
well, you never know about refurb products...since they were broken at one time. just as a bit of comparison, "new" refurb products usually come with a 90 day warranty and actual new products come with a year+ warranty. but then again, some people buy refurb and it works flawlessly for years. i wouldn't trust it personally though.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
As long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer and not the person selling it then I say go for it. Most times manufacturer refurbished products carry the same warranty as new and its good to know that they were fixed by the people who built them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Years ago I purchased a refurb sony cd player for a car from the sony store at the local outlet mall. It worked flawlessly for the 5 years I owned the car.
I would be hesitant to purchase a refurb from anyone but the manufacturer however. Especially from someone on ebay.
Are you set on it having to be a fosgate amp?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Manufacturer refurbished equipment might also have one more additionl advantage. Most new stuff sent from the factory is NEVER tested, refurb's are tested, bad components relaced, and verified for proper operation and to measure within specs. Most new stuff NEVER sees this ! Just somehing else to chew on!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think only a few of the listings specified that they were refurbished by Rockford. Yes, I am like 95% set on using Rockford amplifiers. I think I would rather purchase brand new, just to be on the safe side. Whats the point of making a killer custom system if a component fails before the car does? I know nothing lasts forever but an amplifier has no moving parts and should never be subject to water/dirt etc. Is it reasonable to assume an amp such as this should last at least the life of my car? If anyone wants to help my find other prices or sites to get these amps, the specific models I need are:

Rockford Fosgate P2002 Amplifier (200 watts bridged, 2x50w RMS) (sub amp)
Rockford Fosgate P4004 Amplifier (400 watts total, 4x50w RMS) (spkr amp)

I even thought of getting higher power amps than these, if i can't find a reliable seller or a decent deal on these. Any other thoughts would be great. I'm very intent on an all rockford fosgate theme in my car (except my Clarion Headunit).

Thanks again!
Josiah

·
Registered
6,100 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess i'm getting stubborn with my age lol. I'm only interested in Rockford Fosgate. That amp is exactly what i need though. I'll keep that as a favorite for if my other options fall through. I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me.

Josiah

·
Registered
531 Posts
Dkaos1 said:
Years ago I purchased a refurb sony cd player for a car from the sony store at the local outlet mall. It worked flawlessly for the 5 years I owned the car.
I would be hesitant to purchase a refurb from anyone but the manufacturer however. Especially from someone on ebay.
Are you set on it having to be a fosgate amp?
People on Ebay actually do sell manufacturer refurbished items, and I've bought several. They usually will tell you if they've been refurb'd by the manufacturer and the ones I've bought had a manufacturer warranty as good as that of a regular item. Independently refurb'd items, I don't think I'd want to get involved in. I've been able to tell which was which before I bought. Seems to me that they give a very good description of the terms of the warranty.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
JLWX5 said:
I guess i'm getting stubborn with my age lol. I'm only interested in Rockford Fosgate. That amp is exactly what i need though. I'll keep that as a favorite for if my other options fall through. I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me.

Josiah
Look at it this way Josiah. Don't buy anything Best Buy sells. With the exception of the killer nav/dvd units they carry by pioneer and the JVC headunits.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Look at it this way Josiah. Don't buy anything Best Buy sells. With the exception of the killer nav/dvd units they carry by pioneer and the JVC headunits.
Amen! Best buy = Worst Buy! They don't know **** in that store, I certainly wouldn't let them touch my car! The place seems to be manned my a bunch of ricer punks.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
It is possible to get "refurb" goods that are simply overstock or even used units that were returned in perfect working order. If I recall from what one of my relatives who sells medical instruments said, they cant sell returned goods as new if they want to keep their ISO certification! The same may apply to Rockford Fosgate.

Look for the key words: "Like new condition"

Most of your refurb amps will have marks on the mounting holes made by the former owner's screws and a few light scratches, but nothing major.

I have had good luck with refub goods, the best refurb deal I ever got was a little Onkyo mini stereo, retails for $400, got it for $200. It came to me in perfect condition. It consists of a small 3 disc changer and a mini receiver. (yes, it's a real stereo reciever!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.