DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I was having the flickering oil light problem (very rarely at red lights) well I got the part numbers from other threads but my question is... Do I have to call a Dodge dealership to order or can I call Advanced Auto, Checker, Napa, or Auto Zone?

I don't know if part numbers are universal between auto part dealers or thats just a dodge/chrysler dealership thing?

So yeah..... who do I call to order the two parts for the RSB oil flickering light problem?

Thanks!

Termski

·
Registered
399 Posts
The TSB parts are a strickly dodge part. Since they came up with the fix they have the part. I would even doubt if a place like auto parts extra would carry anything like a sending unit of wireing. But I am certain you will only find the parts that are listed in the tsb at a daimler chrysler dealer.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Actually the part number for the vent wire is a Chrysler p/n not a Dodge. I found this out when ordering mine. You won't find it is you try looking it up under Dodge. And it isn't something you can get at a parts store. The switch on the other hand is sold at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc... I ordered both the switch and vent wire on newmoparparts.com. Total with shipping to me was around $35. Took almost 2 weeks but it was cheap.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dodge and chrysler part numbers are the same. If a parts guy searches the part number there is nothing to differantiate if it is a dodge or a chrysler. Technically there is not dodge, chrysler or jeep when a parts guy searches for parts. The database that we uses only searches by model not brand.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Nevermind. they must have updated things from a year and half ago. When I first when looking for it, they couldn't find it when trying to reference it as a Dodge p/n. But apparently it is now listed as both a Dodge and Chrysler p/n.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey i was just reading more about this problem and I seen that one person said that the TSB isn't for 2000+ cars. So I went to alldata.com and searched and sure enough it isn't listed for a 2000 (which is what year mine is.) This person also said that they just replaced a spring in the sending unit that wore out and everything was all good.

Well....

How do I know if the springs wore out and how do I purchase a new one? Ask for a sending unit spring? heh....

Another question about this Synthetic motor oil. What is the best kind? I read on here someone said to use Mobil 1. Whats the deal with that if you don't mind please...

Thanks again ya'll!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
TermOne said:
Hey i was just reading more about this problem and I seen that one person said that the TSB isn't for 2000+ cars. So I went to alldata.com and searched and sure enough it isn't listed for a 2000 (which is what year mine is.) This person also said that they just replaced a spring in the sending unit that wore out and everything was all good.

Well....

How do I know if the springs wore out and how do I purchase a new one? Ask for a sending unit spring? heh....

Thanks again ya'll!
The switch is a sealed unit and impossible to replace the spring. Besides that, its not a problem with the spring, its a problem with the diaphram inside leaking. Yes, the TSB was issued for the '98 and '99 models, but the same problem is occuring on the 2000+ models. Mine's a 2001 and the TSB fixed it. And I know for fact about the spring not being the problem, because I actually cut my old switch open and confirmed my suspicions, it was leaking internally and the spring was fine. Those that claim the spring is the issue have no idea how this switch actually works. It is the spring that forces the switch closed and turns on the light. If the spring was broken or worn out, then the light wouldn't come on since there wouldn't be pressure on the contacts to close them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Your welcome and hope all goes well with fixing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
just have teh dealer do ti they only charged me 175. really the wires are only 23.10 and the new sending unit 18.98. i did pay teh dealer 175 to do ti though.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
nickoman01 said:
just have teh dealer do ti they only charged me 175. really the wires are only 23.10 and the new sending unit 18.98. i did pay teh dealer 175 to do ti though.
$175!!!! What did you pay for? Parts are cheap and its only a 1/2 hour job. You got ripped totally.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, but parts are no more than $40. And the TSB even states how much labor time is required, and it doesn't take more than 1/2 hour. So you paid for about $100 for 1/2 hour work plus parts plus tax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Flickering engine light - I have the parts for 1999 Intrepid

I ordered the sending unit and the vent wire but sold my 1999 Intrepid 2.7
before I had a chance to install the parts . I paid $40 plus shipping .
Will sell for best offer and include free ground shipping .
You can check my references on Ebay "buyer098" .

froggy81500 said:
Actually the part number for the vent wire is a Chrysler p/n not a Dodge. I found this out when ordering mine. You won't find it is you try looking it up under Dodge. And it isn't something you can get at a parts store. The switch on the other hand is sold at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc... I ordered both the switch and vent wire on newmoparparts.com. Total with shipping to me was around $35. Took almost 2 weeks but it was cheap.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey I just stumbled on this topic. I have a 00 Concorde 2.7 and I have that darn flickering problem sometimes when im stopped during a red light. Do these two parts fix the situation? How hard are they to install, and what section are they under in the service manual? Thanks

Just1guy, I am interested in purchasing them from you as long as I found out if this is going to be an easy fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Its not hard at all. Takes about 1/2 hour to do. I just posted a link to the TSB recently. I've also posted a diagram showing where on the 2.7 to find it. Its in my gallery also. if you search for my posts for oil light tsb you should have no problem finding plenty of posts on it. I did mine back in Nov 2004 and haven't had a single reoccurance yet. So far there's been only one case I replied to that ended up being more serious than just a flichering oil light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Parts for flickering oil light

Like I said , my parts are brand new in plastic bags . Since I never installed them I couldn't give you any advice how to do the job or how hard it would be to do .
If you can't do the job for some reason you could give the parts to a mechanic to do the job for you .

BLASK02 said:
Hey I just stumbled on this topic. I have a 00 Concorde 2.7 and I have that darn flickering problem sometimes when im stopped during a red light. Do these two parts fix the situation? How hard are they to install, and what section are they under in the service manual? Thanks

Just1guy, I am interested in purchasing them from you as long as I found out if this is going to be an easy fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The only part of the job I found tough to do was figuring out how to get the connector off the switch without actually seeing it. I reached my hand in between the converter and the exhaust manifold and could reach the connector. I did manage to get it off from up top but it was a PITA to figure out that the red clip had to be snapped to the side in order to squeeze the retaining ears. Beyond that its pretty easy. There's a spare port in the connector with a sealing dart in it. Pop out the dart and install the vent wire. As far as replacing the switch, you'll need a 1 1/16" deep socket to fit on it. Screw out the old, screw in the new, just watch out for some oil that will leak out, not a lot but there will be some. Make sure the new one has a thread sealer on it so it won't leak at the threads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts