DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I'm new in the forums, I hope I'm posting in the right place..

1-My Coolant Air Bleeder was leacking coolant, I try to find the part on the web but I wasnt able to find it. I had to go to a Mechanic and he ordered it for me, does anyone know how much this part is? or any online website that has it. I want to know if he riped me off or not.

2- To replace the thermostat this guy charged me $500 because he had to remove the alternator etc. is it normal or is it too much?

PD: is a 2001 Intrepid, anyway I can tell if it is SE or normal? whats the diference with SE? There is an "S" in the back window panel

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
God damn you got ripped the **** off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no choice..I need the car to get to work.

Anyone knows something about the air bleeder? I paid 120$ and I replace it myself..first time I touch an engine :D

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Sorry to hear that, as a thermostat generally costs less than $20, and I think the Mitchel On-Demand labor guide calls for 1 hour labor at the most.
yeah, I'd say they really stuck it to you. Where'd you take it?

Yet you're going to replace the coolant bleeder yourself? hmmm...

Back in the day, if I had a thermostat stuck (wouldn't open at temp.) I'd just remove the dang thing until I could get a new one. The old fashioned way to check if your thermostat is working was to remove the radiator cap, and run the motor till it gets up to normal operating temp, which then you should see the coolant in the radiator start moving (or flowing) this would be the thermostat opening up. If it doesn't, and it starts rising above normal operating temp (keep an eye on your temp guage on the cluster) SHUT IT DOWN! Its most likely the thermostat, either that or the coolant temp. sensor has gone bad and is not giving the signal to open the thermostat which may be fine in the first place.
I'm sorry, I just cant get over $500 for a thermostat. You've got to be kidding!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intrep_ED said:
Yet you're going to replace the coolant bleeder yourself? hmmm...

I'm sorry, I just cant get over $500 for a thermostat. You've got to be kidding!
I already replaced the Bleeder, thank God everything worked out.

And about the thermostat I'm still bleeding lol

****ing mechanic, take this :beat:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ordered mine from www.rockauto.com. I went from an aluminum casting to cast iron for about $25. A new thermostat cost about $8 and it took me about 30 min since I changed a couple of hoses and coolant. Total investment was less than $50.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
well big3 you have a 3.5 first gen (ahh the good old days),, were talking a 2.7 here diffrent kettle of fish (ahh new and improved....... NOT)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts