DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Do any of you know where the PIAA Platinum headlights stand in the PIAA product line? I want to upgrade the headlights on my '98 ES but see that the Xtreme White bulbs are not considered street legal in the USA.

Did any of you install these Platinum 9006 bulbs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes, I totally agree. I have the PIAA Platinum lights, 9006 and 9005. I like them a lot.

They aren't quite as bright-white as the Xenon bulbs I had in, but those were also 80W and fried my Daytime Running Light module.

Still... they are a vast improvement over OEM bulbs...much whiter and better-looking. And, from what I hear, they are supposed to last a lot longer than standard bulbs too.

Definitely worth the extra expense. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I have ordered the Platinum 9006 bulbs ($70 for the pair and $15 installation).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truth of the matter on the subject of installation: when I spoke to the service manager at Dodge he suggested that they be installed (by Dodge) so that any problems with focus and or potential weatherseal breaches would be covered. I couldn't have asked for a better reason to have them do it.

PS- Believe me, I have changed many things in cars over the years, but $15 was a very reasonable insurance policy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LeeNYC said:
When I spoke to the service manager at Dodge he suggested that they be installed (by Dodge) so that any problems with focus and or potential weatherseal breaches would be covered.
What a crock!!! You are truely being taken. There are absolutely no focus or weatherseal issues with replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Intrepid99 said:
Aren't bulbs supposed to be user replaceable?
Umm...that would be yes. Even if you know jack **** about cars, you can still replace them. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I can't figure out how there could be "weatherseal" issues. The bulb fits in the socket one way and turns down a little bit and locks tight. There is no wrong way to do it. (on the 2nd gen's anyway... I've never changed the headlights on my 95 Intrepid because the headlight mounting assembly breaks very easily).

The only thing that can happen is the bulb(s) come in contact with your skin, shortening the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
I can't figure out how there could be "weatherseal" issues. The bulb fits in the socket one way and turns down a little bit and locks tight. There is no wrong way to do it. (on the 2nd gen's anyway... I've never changed the headlights on my 95 Intrepid because the headlight mounting assembly breaks very easily).

It's the same way on the first gen, and every other bulb replacement I have done. Just twist off that black ring and pull out the bulb. Loosen the clip, switch bulbs. Then put back in assembly, and screw the black ring back on until it locks in place.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The bulbs are extremely easy to replace. The only problem I encountered was that three of the four (I replaced both the highs and lows) white mounting rings were too tight so the bulb wouldn't turn. After taking literally two seconds to loosen the rings, the bulb turned fine.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
562 Posts
does that $15.00 include the vasealine he is using to _uck you in the @$$?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yeah, Yeah, Everyone's A Comedian :)

Well, I really didn't want to go so deeply into details, but since I have become the "butt" of your jokes, the reason that I need to have them installed, is that I am presently up on crutches after breaking my femur in six places.

Working on some of the more mundane things on cars over the years, is second nature to me during normal times.

I would have considerable trouble moving around the front end of the car with a stick under each arm.

He was charging me his dealer price ($33 per lamp) and a few bucks extra for the service guy to spend the 10 minutes or so to put them in.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry man, I didn't know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear Sk8 and others,

Please don't apologize, because I really enjoyed reading the comments about my "suspected" laziness. I wrote the most recent explaination just to clarify why they were being dealer installed, and not to solicit sympathy. I will be up and back to running and skiing soon.

I welcome all your comments on the subject along with the jabs.

Lee

1 - 20 of 23 Posts