DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 02 trep has 69 thousand miles on it, just got the car about a month ago put about 2,000 miles on it since I got it. not sure as of what oil has been used on the oil changes of course, well anyhow my question am I allready in danger that there might be sludge buildup allready, I did have the dealership do an oil change just before I got it not sure what they put in it. I plainnin on putting in mobil 1 fully synthetic oil sometime this coming up weekend.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My '02 SE has exactly double the miles, and no sign of sludge. Check the underside of your oil cap and see if there's any build-up, for a quick check...

BTW, welcome!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Its a 4 year old car with an average of 17,250 miles per year on it. That would indicate highway driving to me, which is better than stop-n-go driving. Also, highway driving ensures the oil gets warmed up often and that removes the moisture from the oil. As long as the oil was changed frequently, you shouldn't have issue. With that kind of highway mileage, I wonder if its a previous fleet or rental vehicle. Mine was, I bought my 2001 in 2004 with 48K miles on it (16K average per year), and they told me along with the carfax I got, that it was either a fleet or rental. Pretty sure mine was a fleet not rental. Anyway, I haven't had much issue in 2 years. Just passed inspection Friday but will need front brake pads soon.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1 Posts
HEY THERE EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS SITE FOUND IT BY MISTAKE I HAVE A 99 INTREPID 2.7 THAT I PURCHASED 1.5 YRS AGO PUT A LOT OF MECHANICAL WORK. NOW MY INTREPID HAVE ABOUT 130,000 ON IT JUST HAD MECH CHECK IT OUT HE SIAD IT IS A SURPRISINGLY CLEAN ENGINE (NO SLUDGE BUILD UP) BUT PUT ALOT INTO IT ALOT OF LITLLE ANNOYING DETAILS NEW ROTORS, FUEL PUMP AND INJECTOR CLEANING TUNE UP LAST YEAR ALSO CONTROL ARM AXLES, TRANNY TUNEUP FILTER AND FLUID WITH LUCAS OIL, THERMOSTAR, COOLANT RESOUVOIR COLANT CAP NEW BATTERY WIRES AND TERMINAL AND SO ON AND SO ON BUT I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3K MILES WITH NEW FILTER A SWITCH BETWEEN CASTO SYNTECH HI-MILES AND RECENTLY STARTED WITH MOBIL ONE AND I JUST ON MY LAST GAS FILL UP ADD A CAN OF SEAFOAM BUT SINCE I HAD TO PURCHASE A NEW 2006 GRAND CAARAVAN SXT FOR BABIES MOTHER NO NEW CAR IN BUDGET FOR ME**** HELP ME SO WHICH OILS, OIL FILTER ,COOLANT SHOULD I BE USING AND ANY LITTLE SECRETS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE THIS CAR LAST LONGER . CAR JUST DEFINITLY NEEDS PAINT JOB BUT WHEN CLEAN IT HOT LOOKING HAAS 17" RIMS WANT TO GO BIGGER BUT AT TIME LIVED CRATER POTHOLE CAPITOL OF THE WORLD (NYC) AND DO ALOT OF DRIVING BUT SYSTEM IS SWEET MTX 2 CHANNEL FOR SUB & ROCKFORD 4CHANNEL AMPS FOR SURROUND JL AUDIO DOME TWEETERS KENWOOD 6 SPEAKER SUUROUND SOUND 3 10" MTX 6000s BOX ENCLOSED SPEAKERS PIONEER REMOTE HEAD B/I XM RECEIVER CANT LIVE W/O XM RADIO AND KENWOOD 10 BAND EQ CYSTAL CLEAR SOUND NO DISTORTION JUST NEED TO TIGHTEN DOWN TRUNK AND DYNO MAT TRUNK A LIITLE RATTLE.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
BIGPOPPASUPERMAN said:
HEY THERE EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS SITE FOUND IT BY MISTAKE I HAVE A 99 INTREPID 2.7 THAT I PURCHASED 1.5 YRS AGO PUT A LOT OF MECHANICAL WORK. NOW MY INTREPID HAVE ABOUT 130,000 ON IT JUST HAD MECH CHECK IT OUT HE SIAD IT IS A SURPRISINGLY CLEAN ENGINE (NO SLUDGE BUILD UP) BUT PUT ALOT INTO IT ALOT OF LITLLE ANNOYING DETAILS NEW ROTORS, FUEL PUMP AND INJECTOR CLEANING TUNE UP LAST YEAR ALSO CONTROL ARM AXLES, TRANNY TUNEUP FILTER AND FLUID WITH LUCAS OIL, THERMOSTAR, COOLANT RESOUVOIR COLANT CAP NEW BATTERY WIRES AND TERMINAL AND SO ON AND SO ON BUT I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3K MILES WITH NEW FILTER A SWITCH BETWEEN CASTO SYNTECH HI-MILES AND RECENTLY STARTED WITH MOBIL ONE AND I JUST ON MY LAST GAS FILL UP ADD A CAN OF SEAFOAM BUT SINCE I HAD TO PURCHASE A NEW 2006 GRAND CAARAVAN SXT FOR BABIES MOTHER NO NEW CAR IN BUDGET FOR ME**** HELP ME SO WHICH OILS, OIL FILTER ,COOLANT SHOULD I BE USING AND ANY LITTLE SECRETS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE THIS CAR LAST LONGER . CAR JUST DEFINITLY NEEDS PAINT JOB BUT WHEN CLEAN IT HOT LOOKING HAAS 17" RIMS WANT TO GO BIGGER BUT AT TIME LIVED CRATER POTHOLE CAPITOL OF THE WORLD (NYC) AND DO ALOT OF DRIVING BUT SYSTEM IS SWEET MTX 2 CHANNEL FOR SUB & ROCKFORD 4CHANNEL AMPS FOR SURROUND JL AUDIO DOME TWEETERS KENWOOD 6 SPEAKER SUUROUND SOUND 3 10" MTX 6000s BOX ENCLOSED SPEAKERS PIONEER REMOTE HEAD B/I XM RECEIVER CANT LIVE W/O XM RADIO AND KENWOOD 10 BAND EQ CYSTAL CLEAR SOUND NO DISTORTION JUST NEED TO TIGHTEN DOWN TRUNK AND DYNO MAT TRUNK A LIITLE RATTLE.

This is an example of HI-JACKING someone elses thread!!!!!!!

hey welcome to the site!!!!!
You should copy what you posted and start up a new thread and paste it there. Someone my answer your questions there!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
02Intrepid said:
my 02 trep has 69 thousand miles on it, just got the car about a month ago put about 2,000 miles on it since I got it. not sure as of what oil has been used on the oil changes of course, well anyhow my question am I allready in danger that there might be sludge buildup allready, I did have the dealership do an oil change just before I got it not sure what they put in it. I plainnin on putting in mobil 1 fully synthetic oil sometime this coming up weekend.

Like other posts have said, you car would be considered a relatively high mileage car for the year, that by itself is usually a good thing (assuming that they were mostly highway).... But not always.

Anyways, check under the cap, that will be a very strong indication. Now about the oil, since you don't know what has been used in your car so far, you DO NOT want to jump straight to Fully Synthetic your first oil change. use blend for the next 2 times and and then go to synthetic. Also Stay away from parafinic based oils (i.e. Quaker State, and Citgo) they can only make matters worse.

Plus one way the I have used to get rid of sludge and deposits, if you know that you have some, is to add a little diesel fuel or kerosene (my choice is JP-8 jet fuel) to the motor oil then run it for about an hour. Don't use a lot, about a cup or so, if even that much. After the Kerosen has dones its work and taken the contaminantes to the filter, it evaorates quickly. ( I know this sounds a little weird, but I have used it in the past, just be careful not to heat the engine up to fast, or it will not work.)

Hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts