DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 2.7L engine is not the best. I own a 99 Intrepid and haven't really had any major problems with mine so I'm happy. Well I notice the Dodge Charger and the Chrysler 300c both come option with the 2.7L. I'm not saying if I got either car that I would get it with that engine but I was wondering, since the Intrepid had a bad rep with the 2.7L, did they improve it in these cars??? My mother is considering a 300c and of course she'd get the hemi but the guy tried to talk her into the 2.7L which I told her wasn't the right way to go. The salesman tried to convince me they had improved the engine and that the Intrepid was more of a "guinea pig" for it. Anyone ever even test drove either the charger or the 300c???

·
Registered
186 Posts
My dad has an 05 magnum and has the 2.7, and so far it has been vey relaible. I think I noticed that the water pump design was changed because the location of pump seems to me that it is more outward. I would recomend you to tell your mother to buy a 2.7.

·
Registered
979 Posts
They have apparently made some modifications to the 2.7 that address many of the problems of the past. Don't take this as gospel but they have apparently :

1) Reduced the internal operating temperature by reducing the temperature of coolant. I've read that the coolant temp has been reduced by around 30 degrees. This is significant.

2) Rumor that the water pump capacity was increased.

3) Apparently have increased the size of some oil gallerys that were previously prone to being blocked due with high temp induced sludge/varnish. This would lead to oil pooling in the upper parts of the engine, which led to starvation of the oil pump which led to catastrophe

3) Redesigned the main timing chain tensioner

4) Rumor that the oil pump capacity was increased at some point.

5) Changed bearing materials for the rods and crank.

6) Modified the PCV system.

These have not all been done at once. The changes started back in 2000 or 2001. Items 1 - 3 were done within the past couple of years.

There were some other design changes but I don't remember what they were.

However, the water pump is still inside the engine. And there is still one BIG main timing chain. Normally those are not a concern for a long time. Depsite all the history, the 2.7 is still an amazing little engine.

2.7 L seems a bit on the small side or least marginal for a Charger or 300C

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The new 2.7s are definitely better than the old ones. I definitely wouldn't buy that big of a car with it though. They are ok for the stratus, but in a charger or 300 I would think the 3.5HO would be the minimum unless you want stop lights to turn green and back to red again before you can get going!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Even with the changes and knowing what I know about the 2.7L engine now, I can't recommend it and, like what was already said, not for the big cars anyway. I would have bought an R/T (or at least a 3.5L) if I had a choice, but I had to buy used, wanted burgundy and had little time.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you. When I got the Intrepid, I didn't even know they made a 2.7L until I popped the hood, i thought it woulda had the 3.2L. I see with the Charger, they make a SRT with a engine size of 6.1???? wow. Dunno if I want that much power. I was actually cruising on ebay last night and saw people selling chargers with the 2.7L. I thought it musta been a misprint but was really shocked when I saw they actually do make that car with that size of engine. But I guess it depends on how you planning on using the car.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Last I knew, the Magnums came base with the 2.7 not the Charger and 300. Their base is the 3.5L. I got that right from DC's websites. I did read and also hear that the fleet and rental Chargers came with a 2.7L.

*Edit: I stand corrected the base engine in the 300 is the 2.7 not 3.5. But everything I've looked at for the Charger indicates the base is 3.5L.

6) Modified the PCV system
the modded pcv started with at least the 2001 model as mine has the heat exchanger on mine. I know the '99 didn't because a member on here a ways back retro fitted one on his '99 Corde. The purpose of it was to keep the blowby gases nice and hot so water vapor wouldn't condense out and end up contaminating the oil. As far as the other supposed improvements, I'm not sure. I haven't read anything official and probably won't since DC didn't want to admit to a sludge problem in the first place. How are they gonna make public the improvements to an engine to correct problems that didn't exist in the first place?? It makes for an interesting press release.

One thing I have read that might be tied to 5) Changed bearing materials for the rods and crank, is that the 2.7 in the Sebring/Stratus calls for 5W-20 not 5W-30. If in fact 1) Reduced the internal operating temperature by reducing the temperature of coolant. I've read that the coolant temp has been reduced by around 30 degrees is actually true then that might also be why the change from 5W-30 to 5W-20. I mean think about it, why would you put a thinner oil in a hot running motor? One speculated reason for the 5W-30 to 5W-20 switch was to satisfy the CAFE standards and that lower viscocity shows a very marginal increase in fuel economy.

3) Redesigned the main timing chain tensioner, is something that was done a while back, and maybe by the 2001 model year. I have a good rebuild site bookmarked in my PM's that tells of some of the differences with the 2.7.
I will post it later when I find it. Allpar is another good site for DC stuff.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
va3ux said:
3) Apparently have increased the size of some oil gallerys that were previously prone to being blocked due with high temp induced sludge/varnish. This would lead to oil pooling in the upper parts of the engine, which led to starvation of the oil pump which led to catastrophe
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with your specifics there...yeah...

There are 1 inch diameter oil galleys cast into the block that run from the heads to the pan directly. 5 total, 3 on one side 2 on the other.

·
Registered
979 Posts
WhiteHawk said:

There are 1 inch diameter oil galleys cast into the block that run from the heads to the pan directly. 5 total, 3 on one side 2 on the other.
Thanks Whitehawk. Accurate info is always appreciated.

In my original post, I was repeating info from another Mopar website. That's why I use the qualifier "apparently". I have never had mine apart far enough to actually see the size of the oil drain passages (although that is about to change).

I wonder if they were referring to the size of the oil supply galleries in the heads ?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
WhiteHawk said:

So you're saying the motor you're working on is from the LX platform not the LH and you have an LH motor head to compare it to or you're just talking out of your XXX?? Just trying to understand why you say they didn't increase the size....In case you didn't notice we're comparing 98-04' 2.7 with the 04-on new LX platform 2.7, and I still haven't seen one from the inside myself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 99' Dodge Intrepid with a 99' 2.7 liter V6. Here is a video showing my 2 spun rods, but you can actually see the 3 holes on the oil pan sealing surface near the end of the vid. You can actually see the chutes on the outside of the block as they were cast too. Also see my sig picture, the inside of the head on the right has 3 large holes clearly visable.

Video 9mb avi

I think the person just wrote down what he meant incorrectly, he was probably refering to the internal passages or something...but he did say oil starvation was an issue, so that is total ace backwards. But who knows, I cannot fathom the amount of sludge this engine can produce so it might possible

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks! That clip is like hands-on info on the insides of a motor!
Great stuff to know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts