DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about tires, but I have 225/40/R18 Hankooks. I want a little taller of a wall. If I go with 45 will that still fit the rim fine?

I know the width (225) and radius (18) can't be changed without changing rims, but can the height (40) be changed to a 45 without new rims or any problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know much about tires, but I have 225/40/R18 Hankooks. I want a little taller of a wall. If I go with 45 will that still fit the rim fine?

I know the width (225) and radius (18) can't be changed without changing rims, but can the height (40) be changed to a 45 without new rims or any problems?

Thanks
I seriously have to answer your question with a question. The sidwall of that "40" in the code is the profile of the tire and with the exception of comfort, the lower, the better -- why would you want to change it?

The lower the profile, the less flexing the tire has from side to side, which is better for handling. The ride is bumpier but stiffer is better - ask the wife! ;)

ps. if you're tossing 18 inch 40 profile 225mm hankooks to change your tires, i imagine there is quite a few people to buy your tires if they're in good shape.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that there is too much room between the tire and the wheel well on my Stratus. It looks awkward. Other than that, the bumps aren't too bad with the 40. I imagine it would be even better with 45.

I'll gladly sacrifice handling for a better look and better ride. They are in great shape, just looking to trade with someone local who has 22/45/18 on Craigslist.

Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Also keep in mind your speedo reading will be off with the new tires.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. Apparently right now I'm 1.5% too fast and after I'll be 2.0% slow.

Here is the tire now:

From this angle the left side looks closer than it is, and the top (as you can kind of see) has a **** load of room.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
its not the fender you have to worry about rubbing, its the coil spring perch. The 18's on my trep clear the perch with less then a finger room to spare.

I believe the tires on my car are 245/45/zr18's, which is stock size for the 300m special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts