DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Intrepid that I'm picking up today had a really shitty tint job at one point and it all needs to come out. Part of the deal I got on the car was a cheaper price if I took it the way it sat and cleaned it myself. Do any of you professionals have any tips on removing tint and the glue that's under it? The back window is my biggest concern because of the defroster grid. I can't use any tools on it for fear of breaking the wires. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pay a tint shop. They have the chem and the tools to do it right and it is not that expensive.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I know a guy in Leamington that is very talented with window tint. He has a shop over near Heinz. I'll get you his name tomorrow when I'm down there.

·
Registered
780 Posts
a shop is the best way to go... about $150 would get it all off for you here in cali...but if you do want to try it yourself heres a quick free way to make sure you can safely see out your backwindow. Supplies needed: black trash bag / simple green / razorblades / scotchbrite or steel wool. On a hot sunny day cut a black trash bag to the size of your backglass...then spray the inside of the window with some simple green and apply the bag to the inside and spray again. (i cover everything before I even start, seats, speakers, everything) Let your car sit with the backglass facing the sun getting as hot as possible for an hour or so. Crawl in the backseat and with a razorblade try and get a corner to peel without cutting any defroster lines. Most films will have 2 layers so make sure your peeling them both because if you just take off the first layer your in for some pain trying to get the rest off. Once the film itself is off the glass will be covered in adhesive...the simple green along with some soapy water and your scothbrite/steel wool will finish the job. Your sideglass is just as simple...let it get hot, peel an edge with a razorblade and peel it off. Finish up will soapy water to clean and your only out a saturday afternoon and some elbow grease

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got all the tint and glue off the windows. Paint thinner on a rag and the glue comes off pretty easy. Goo Gone wouldn't touch it. Have all the doors open and the car outside if you have to do it, and put thinner on rag and then rub.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, I got all the tint and glue off the windows. Paint thinner on a rag and the glue comes off pretty easy. Goo Gone wouldn't touch it. Have all the doors open and the car outside if you have to do it, and put thinner on rag and then rub.
:9lame::banghead: wow your car must smell awful and will smell for a long time to come...did you not see the part where I said just soap and water will get it off? :smilie_sc or even for the really bad glue you should have used some non-toxic biodegradable pleasent smelling simple green...oh well you saved some cash.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it doesn't smell at all. I put the thinner on the rag and then rubbed the rag on the window. After I was done, I rubbed down the window with a clean rag to remove all the thinner, then cleaned them with Windex. No smell, nice and clean.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
is tint jobs more expensive in hotter places such as florida and cali or cheaper?
You would think so...but I was shocked when members from other states, said they pay upwards of $300 for a tint job. I've seen tint shop around here...that will do a tint job as low as $60. I was skeptical of the quality...but they did just as good of a job as the other shops. Tell you the truth...the highest quote I had for my car was only $130.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Best thing to do is shop around and ask friends. I live in Southern California and I have paid an average of about 130 for a 4 door vehicle (5 windows). The tint shops will try to rip you off by saying that it takes a long time if you have a third brake light or the small pane windows need custom attention. I was told my trep would cost more cuz of the huge rear window. I left and got it done at another shop for 130 complete. The tint is a good tint and it's starting to get messed up but its been on for about 7 years now so its acceptable. Good luck and don't get a ticket for too dark of a tint!!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Best thing to do is shop around and ask friends. I live in Southern California and I have paid an average of about 130 for a 4 door vehicle (5 windows). The tint shops will try to rip you off by saying that it takes a long time if you have a third brake light or the small pane windows need custom attention. I was told my trep would cost more cuz of the huge rear window. I left and got it done at another shop for 130 complete. The tint is a good tint and it's starting to get messed up but its been on for about 7 years now so its acceptable. Good luck and don't get a ticket for too dark of a tint!!!!
:smilie_sc i agree you should ask friends and shop around first but I can also say if you have an attitude then do it yourself if you think tintshops are ripping you off...seriously I bet you can't do even ONE window much less go around tinting the entire car, car after car all day long without wasting piece after piece of film and not spending 4 hours or something ridiculous on it. How is a tintshop ripping you off when it takes longer to mess with your third brake light and he has to waste more time your car rather than a car that doesn't have one...same with tiny windows that you think are just a tiny peice of film but you don't seem to get that the gaskets around those windows are more of a pain than the bigger glass, they also collect dust and need more time, there for more money to clean and tint. :banghead:
So you think it's acceptable for the film to go bad in 7 years...probably started to go bad after about 2 years but you drive it everyday and don't notice the suttle daily change to purple and blurry. Now your going to have to pay twice what you would have if would have just got a quality film in the first place.
I'll just throw a couple prices at you of what a quality film shop will charge. NOT SPAM (i blocked the film name myself because thats not the point) I work for a "***" exclusive window film dealership meaning we only sell that brand of film and have a county wide protected area that only we can sell this film brand in. For a full car your looking $325 not including the windshield of course and you can always add in a front sunvisor and the sunroof and get out of my shop for about $400, thats average...then you can always upgrade to the latest film technology if you add another $65 to that total. I am nestled inbetween 5 car dealerships and tint all day long at those prices showroom quality tintjobs because these cars literally go into the showroom once I film them, of course the dealerships get a discount but the point is if you get it done right and with a quality film it's a lifetime investment in your vehicle not some jc whitney accessory that you change every few years. All just my opinion on the subject :music:

quick edit: you'll notice this thread was started because of a bad tintjob...mainly the 60-130$ kind...just a warning

·
Registered
780 Posts
i sure do big guy and if it doesn't sound like the price is discounted mention any winter specials when you ask...and as for the question about hotter places bieng more expensive I think it kind of evens itself out because the demand is so high in the hot areas that there are more tint shops and the prices have to be competative

1 - 19 of 19 Posts