DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would I need to add ABS to my car? Winter approaches and it would be nice to have, though I fear it may be far too much work to warrant it.

Not sure if I should have posted this in the first gen forums, move if necessary..

·
Registered
964 Posts
Better you should spend your momey on a good set of snow tires. Adding ABS to any car is a lot of trouble. You would need a doner car and by the time you were finished it would be springtime. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
yeah. adding it would be a pain imho.. id rather you take that doner car and fix it up with parts from your car so you have abs.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Many occassions will prove ABS to be superior over no ABS.
It has the ability to give maximum braking at all 4 wheels. Without ABS you must release the pedal pressure of all 4 brakes to relieve any 1 wheel from locking up.
You can still steer under panic braking situations and you will not slide sideways during heavy braking.

One situation, which occurs often in winter, where ABS is undesirable is stopping on snow or the gravel shoulder.
With ABS as soon as the computer senses wheel lock it releases enough pressure on that particular wheel to let it rotate. On snow or gravel you are now rolling over the soft stuff.
Without ABS your locked wheel piles the snow in front of the tires aiding in stopping.
Non abs cars will stop in a shorter distance during those particular conditions.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
yes but you must run new brake lines. get a computer that can handle abs. take the entire assebly off a car. take your cars assebly apart swap the 2 run the lines run the sensor wires. make new connectors for the new wires. im not sure about the master brake cyl. but one of those will be needed to be taken out and replacd with the right on. just go by a beater with abs. for the winter. i know abs is better but i was in a deathtrap tempo with nothing electrical and it was great. sliding was fun also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts