DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a quick question that I've been meaning to ask for sometime now. On my 99 2.7L Trep, I had a new a/c compressor, belt, accumalator, & drier replaced about a year ago. My a/c works great except for one little glitch:

When I turn the a/c on for the first time (daily), there is a loud squeal for a few seconds. The squeal goes away, and does not return until the next day when I turn the a/c on again.

So I'm thinking maybe the a/c belt needs to be tightened? If so, I'm hoping GoodYear offers some type of warranty for their work so they won't charge me to tighten the a/c belt.

I would love to listen to some input on this matter. Thanks!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
Have the tensioner checked. It may not be keeping the belt tight enough---

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm good idea. Now is this a difficult matter to check? What exactly is involved in checking the belt or the tensioner? The reason why I'm asking is so I won't go in blind to where the GoodYear tech tries to squirm out of this one or tries to overcharge something simple to check. Thanks again for the input!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
Its pretty easy to check, the tensioner is spring loaded, so its a matter of checking the belt tension. If its too light, either the belt is stretched, or the spring in the tensioner is weak. A glazed belt could cause a squeal too, but if your belt is new stretching or glazing shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How do you tighten that tensioner? Do I have to pay someone, or is it as simple as loosening a belt and pulling it tight? Thanks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
the tensioner for the A/C belt is spring loaded so it keeps tension itself. However, the idler for the Alt/PS belt is adjustable and needs to be manually adjusted as the belt stretches.

The A/C belt tensioner has two different mounting positions: one for a new belt and the 2nd for a used belt. Check with the service manual on this, I haven't looked at it in awhile. My first thoughts were the same, possibly a tensioner going bad, usually the bearings wear out. My second thought was the clutch on the compressor, but you've already replaced the compressor and its safe to assume the new compressor included the clutch assembly.

Being that its been a year since all that was replaced, you may just need to have the tensioner repositioned for a used belt. I believe they classify a used belt as having over 500 miles on it, but again check the FSM as I haven't read it in awhile.

Edit* to add to what I've already posted.

Yes the difference between a new and "used" belt is 500 miles. And I was just looking at the FSM about the A/C tensioner. There is a locking bolt that gets tightened after the belt is installed. After that, the spring does not automatically adjust the tension. What you could do, Mark, is loosen the pinch (locking) bolt and let the spring retension the belt and then tighten it back up. If that doesn't help, then you'll probably need to go thru the procedure to reposition the tensioner for a "used" belt.

Reactions: LTDUT

·
Registered
603 Posts
froggy81500 said:
the tensioner for the A/C belt is spring loaded so it keeps tension itself. However, the idler for the Alt/PS belt is adjustable and needs to be manually adjusted as the belt stretches.

The A/C belt tensioner has two different mounting positions: one for a new belt and the 2nd for a used belt. Check with the service manual on this, I haven't looked at it in awhile. My first thoughts were the same, possibly a tensioner going bad, usually the bearings wear out. My second thought was the clutch on the compressor, but you've already replaced the compressor and its safe to assume the new compressor included the clutch assembly.

Being that its been a year since all that was replaced, you may just need to have the tensioner repositioned for a used belt. I believe they classify a used belt as having over 500 miles on it, but again check the FSM as I haven't read it in awhile.

Edit* to add to what I've already posted.

Yes the difference between a new and "used" belt is 500 miles. And I was just looking at the FSM about the A/C tensioner. There is a locking bolt that gets tightened after the belt is installed. After that, the spring does not automatically adjust the tension. What you could do, Mark, is loosen the pinch (locking) bolt and let the spring retension the belt and then tighten it back up. If that doesn't help, then you'll probably need to go thru the procedure to reposition the tensioner for a "used" belt.

SO having 57k on your belts means I should retention those belts :) thanks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
LT.Almond said:
SO having 57k on your belts means I should retention those belts :) thanks
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Might even be time for new ones.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
LT.Almond said:
I found out how to do it according to the FSM in section 7-16 and 7-17
Yep, I was just there a little while ago looking it up. Not a lot of room up front though to work with.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Question....500 miles for the a/c belt...WHAT THE FETCH!!! I dont want to have to replace a belt after 500 miles if that is what it is saying.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
No, that's not right. what it means is that to be considered a "used" belt, it has at least 500 miles on it, and the tensioner should be placed in the "used" position. It doesn't mean to replace it after 500 miles. Damn, I'd be replacing my belts every two weeks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Same...thats what I found funny about it. The belt companies would be rich just off of intrepid owners

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To give everyone an update, and hopefully this will answer questions to people who encountered the same problem with their a/c belt:

The a/c tensioner was found, by a GoodYear Service Tech, to be a "little loose." The problem was fixed in a timely manner, free of charge.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Communicator7 said:
To give everyone an update, and hopefully this will answer questions to people who encountered the same problem with their a/c belt:

The a/c tensioner was found, by a GoodYear Service Tech, to be a "little loose." The problem was fixed in a timely manner, free of charge.
Yep, they probably just loosened the pivot and pnich bolts until the spring applied tension to the belt, then snugged it back up. Took them about 10 minutes maybe?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It probably would have taken them 10 minutes, but by the time a tech got around to pulling my car into the service station, and arguing with the manager over his ex-wife harassing him at work, I waited about 45 minutes. I swear I get the worst luck in terms of customer service. But hey, the problem was solved, and nothing came out of my pocket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts