DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum,and hope I can get some answers about some nagging things on an otherwise good car. First off I have a '93 ES with 4-whl. discs (non ABS). It seems like the pedal is harder than it should be, and it takes a little too much effort to stop the car. I changed the pads about 1 yr. ago. I checked the booster for air-tightness, and it seems to function correctly. Someone told me that the brakes on this car are just "like that". Do any of you guys notice the brakes being firmer than other power-brake cars? Could better pads help? The ones I put on were not the most premium-price grade, but were still decent, I thought. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
out of curiosity, u changed the pads,how are the rotors? but how much life left is on them rotors? on m 97, before i had the pads/rotors replaced, i was putting my foot all the way to the floor to stop the thing, but after they were replaced, i had to re-adapt by not putting my foot to the floor to stop :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
If any of you want to upgrade your brakes at the next maintenance date (or when you know you need new brakes), check out www.stillen.com and look for part number DOD4000 or just located your Intrepid on their database.

Nice, drilled rotors with pads.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I put premium pads and rotors on my beast, and I noticed that she stopped a lot better. But, I still had to press hard on the brakes to stop it. I wonder if there is any mods we could do to the brake booster, or is there a replacement one we could get to give us better braking power? I was also thinking of changing my rear drums to discs, but I am not sure where to go to get the parts/kit for it and how much it would cost....
Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Or you could buy Wilwood's dual caliper braking system for drag cars and stop instantly, thus throwing any passengers not wearing seatbelts out of your car. That may not be your desired out come, but if you've got brakes that do that..well..there ya go..yeah

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not the desired outcome? Hmm.....well, it would be a great way to get people out of your car! You haven't seen some of the clowns who try to get in my car....
hahaha!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Upgrading to a dual piston caliper from the stock single piston caliper will decrease stoping distance and increase pad life. There is less deflection with a dual piston caliper. Thus, you get even wear on your pads because all of the pad is contacting the rotor, which decreases stopping distance. The bummer is I haven't been able to find a dual piston caliper for the Intrepid yet.

Do you have to put the pedal almost to the floor to stop your car? If so, the pads and/or rotors may need replacing. You said you didn't buy the best pads and it has been a year, so they may be worn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback so far. To answer a couple of questions, the rotors are good, they were turned fairly recently. I don't have to push the pedal to the floor, in fact, the pedal does not travel very far, it feels kind of like I'm pushing on a board. Maybe this is just characteristic of these brakes? One (of the many,unfortunately) criticism of these cars I've heard a few times is that "the brakes suck"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, I have a squeeling noise coming from the back rear brakes. Actually, it's a combination of rust from those stupid disc guards, and I think the pads may have some material-conflict with the rotors.

Oh well, once they wear away it's stillen time...hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts