DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question on materials for the L_Intake. Why do you have to use the aluminum tubing? Wouldn't it be just as easy to use the 3" PVC pipe in its place? Is the aluminum used because it is 3" OD, so that it fits into the rubber? (I see that this ended up being more than one question.) Thanks for the help. I have had my car for 2 weeks and love it so far. I have picked up some really good info from this site. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah, the 3" OD aluminum slides right inside the 3" ID rubber and PVC. The aluminum/pvc/rubber combination keeps the interior of the intake relatively smooth (remember to bevel the interior edges of the aluminum), while protecting the air from the heat of the engine compartment. The only deviation from the how-to that I would be comfortable with is using 1/4" wall US grade PVC instead of the 1/8" wall Canadian PVC. Also, the how-to says use a 3/4" X 1/2" hose connector - forget that - it's 1/2" X 1/2". I've built two of these intakes so if you have any questions, feel free.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The main reason for using the Aluminum was because the PVC does not stand up to the pressure of the clamps and the heat from the engine very well. Steve tested the intial L_intake using PVC and it didnt hold up as well.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
bboucher said:
The main reason for using the Aluminum was because the PVC does not stand up to the pressure of the clamps and the heat from the engine very well. Steve tested the intial L_intake using PVC and it didnt hold up as well.
..and when I built my L_Intake I expect it to last a lifetime

you can build a cheap intake using just PVC, no nitrile rubber and no aluminum but in the end you get what you paid for..a cheap intake

·
Registered
138 Posts
The other benefit with the PVC over aluminum is the added insulation from engine heat. The minute air space between the PVC and Aluminum tubes provides you with so much more "R" factor than any single walled tube.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey 2001silverSE, It's nice to see another mountain boy!!! We'll have to get together and build a couple intakes for ourselves. Let me know if / when you wanna get together. My brother will be in from Orlando with is Dakota R/T at the beginning of April so maybe we could get some pics :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. This is what I had figured but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. I didn't really think that the PVC would hold up well long term situated right above the converter.

Bigdaddy, we will have to see about getting in touch. I went to Courts in Hurricane to get my antifoam and they were telling me about a guy from Milton with a black R/T. I had seen some of you posts and figured that was who they were talking about.

·
Registered
427 Posts
that's me. you were probably talking to Rick or Tommy at the parts counter. Good bunch of guys in that parts department.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't seem to find the answer to this in the 5,000,000 threads on the L-intake.

I remember there is one difference in constructing this for the 2.7L engine. (you leave out a part or something)

Someone fill me in on this so I can start ordering parts for my Intake for the ole' 2.7L

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Intrepidatious said:
I'm sorry, I can't seem to find the answer to this in the 5,000,000 threads on the L-intake.

I remember there is one difference in constructing this for the 2.7L engine. (you leave out a part or something)

Someone fill me in on this so I can start ordering parts for my Intake for the ole' 2.7L
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2421

About the 12th post in that thread by GR8WHT :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts