DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats goin on, i was hoping to curb some of you on the boards who currently own or are very familiar with chrysler b-bodies, circa 68-70...my father restores cars, and back in highschool (late 60s) used to run with a lot of GM cars, himself running 3 olds 4-4-2's, a 70's jag xke, and two jeeps over the years...he is not familiar at all with the mopars from that era (actually hated them...i love em) i was hoping to get some opinions and answers from everybody...im 20, and am currently looking for a b-body, in good asthetic and mechanical condition,...not a showcar, but not a basketcase either)...i guess what im trying to ask is how difficult it is to own and operate a car like this on average (excluding insurance and gas),

i guess it all depends on what type of condition its in, but i would like to ask some questoins anyway, and hopefully someone will answer:
say, im looking at a '69 plym. roadrunner, 383, 4-speed, good running condition, straight body...the 440 is too big 4 me! (im safe, but i can picture easily wrapping a car like that around a tree....no good)
what should i look for when i encounter one?
major problems that plauge them?
whats a good price? (nothing over $14k)
pretty easy to find parts?
durable? reliable?

im looking for one that would serve as a daily runner, fair cost...any opinions? should i look elsewhere too? i like the b-bodies a lot, but am keeping an open mind...my father recommended i look at a chevelle or nova instead, the 350 ci is bulletproof...but ive heard the 383 is too, just wanted to gather some feedback from yall out there, thanks in advance...id appreciate it a lot, woudl aid in my search...either post here or email me, either way works...thanks!
-dave

·
980 Posts
Dave any b body muscle car roadrunner or gtx if it is not a clone will be priced any where from 7k-20k depending on condition please note 68-69 roadrunner 383was standard motor 426 hemi was optional 440 not available in road runner except for 69 1/2 440 six pack car very rare very exspensive.Gtx 68-69 440 standard 426 hemi optional.Because of the popularity of these cars alot of parts are available in reproduction form orginal parts rare,would not recommend for a daily driver,better to look at 68-74 a bodies less to buy, you can use 318 that run forever or if you want 360 for more power.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dave,

IMHO the B-body defines musclecar. The alternatives to the Plymouths were the Super Bee, Coronet, Coronet R/T, and Charger models. All of them rock.

If any cars you look at have been exposed to salt, inspect the unit-body sub frames for rot. If you see any, walk away. Also inspect the k-member and make sure that none of the areas where the strut rods and torsion bars go through it have egged. A southwestern car would be well worth your while.

Also, be wary that some B-bodies have problems with the cowls rotting out. Seems water would drain down the windshield channel and sit there. Make sure there is no bondo around the base of the windshield.

You can also configure a B-body just about any way you want. The 383 was a good, strong engine and the A-833 or 727 trannys were bulletproof. You can upgrade many of the non-Hemi big block cars to accept many Hemi parts (such as clutches, etc). You can also swap in a Hemi if you want (as long as it is a big block car) with just a change of motor mounts. The 440 takes the same mounts as the 383.

Good luck, and fu** Chevy (yes, yes, I know Chevy made good musclecars, but I AM a mopar fanatic).

Buy Mopar!

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
well i drove a '70 road runner for years, it had the 383 magnum, i wouldnt want to use one of these as a daily driver these days. you could probably get into something decent for the 14k you mention, but i wouldnt want to count on any 30 year old car as my main transportation. i dont want to discourage you though, maybe just use it as a fun weekend kind of thing, even that 383 burns a ton of gas, i had a 3:23 rear end and i think i averaged about 6 mpg. its nice to see a young guy interested in the cooler old cars.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks dodgeguy, mope'head, and mr340 for yalls responses...im going to keep a good eye out and be patient with this whole process, im definitely looking for a decent 'runner to keep and gradually restore (while i drive)...in my opinion the 68-69 b-body chrysler is one of the best looking cars to come from that era, i cant wait for carlisle in april! thanks again...

..afterthought.. about the 340 idea, my father also mentioned the liveability of a 73 nova or duster v-8, so ill be looking at those too...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dude, if you're going to the Chryslers at Carlisle meet in July we should arrange to hook up. My Dad and I are planning on driving down for a couple of days.

Vin

:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hemmings rules, my dad scours that magazine every month for sh-t he doesnt need...and the july carlisle chrysler meet,...dude, im already there...send me an email, havent been around those parts since i was like 12 years old...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts