DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Intrepid ES. I've got stock in my car except for my 6.5" (replaced with infinity's) and my Pioneer DEH4600 Headunit. Before everyone yells at me and calls me an idiot, let me warn you I am justtt getting into car audio/mods. I recently bought an infinity 12" sub with a Q-logic ported box, a good audiobahn amp with bass nob and a rockford 8 gauge install kit. I love music and while I'm very good at live music (PA's and such) I'm not good with wiring car stereos. I'm going to get some friends help me install everything. I've read a lot about this stuff and researched but I was wondering:

1) If anyone could tell or show pictures on how they ran their subs to the battery and headunit for ideas. I need to know the best way to run the power from the amp to the battery (where the wires go through the interior of the car), where you put your ground etc.)

2) How to replace the 3.5" speakers in the corners of the dash on the front drivers and passengers side. (I'm guessing you pop off the infinity cover?)

3) Most of all just help on running my wires through my car and if possible step by step on how to hook it all up (and pictures if available!)

I'm young and just now starting to do this stuff, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! I need help now!!! haha :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
605 Posts
1-your subs run from your amp..Your rcas' from your headunit you will run down either side of your car opposite side of where you run your power..
2-Once you go aftermarket with your door speakers,just unhook the factory amp and run new wires.Those speakers in there are worthless once you upgrade..
3-I'll be back in the state on tuesday,so i'll try and take some pics of my install for you..

·
Registered
24 Posts
what part of alabama are you in? (Huntsville for me)

1. Your subs arent going to the battery, youll run the wire from the subs to the amplifier. Youll run the RCA's to your headunit from the amp BUT make sure that you run the RCA's on the opposite side of the car from the power wire or else youll get unwanted noise. The ground wire will be in the trunk find a good metal spot UNDER the carpet and ground it there, inside the car just make sure to put the wires under the carpet, the thing that you unscrew doesnt come to mind to me right now (the actual name) but you unscrew that and then put the wires under the carpet.

2. Im sorry i have no idea about that one

3. I cant specifically anwser that but you can probably search the forum for that

hope i helped, if your close to where im at in alabama i could probably show you in person.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1)You're going to want to run your power down the driver's side of the car even though the battery is on the paasenger side. This is because the only good grommet in the firewall is on the driver's side. The instructions for passing the wire through the firewall can be found here You'll want to connect one end to either the battery or the positive jump post. Be sure to put a fuse holder very close to the connection in the engine compartment and don't install the fuse until everything is installed. Once you're through the firewall, secure the wire under the dash with zip ties and the easiest way to run it to the trunk is down behind the kick panel, under the door sills, and then into the trunk under the edge of the back seat. As 96trep256 said, you will connect your ground to a good clean piece of metal in the trunk area and try to keep it as short as possible. Next you will want to run your RCA & remote wires to the trunk. I ran mine behind the glove box and then down through the kick panel/door sills as you did on the other side.

2) These speakers can't be replaced. They're 2.5", not 3.5" and nobody makes an aftermarket replacement for them. Believe me, I have looked everywhere. Your best bet is to just disconnect them. Since you have an aftermarket radio you should have bypassed your factory amp anyway. If you haven't, you'r enot getting anywhere near the sound you should be from your new door speakers due to the crossover in the factory amp.

3)Pretty much answered this one in number 1

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Check my sig thread for some ideas if you like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys these posts have helped me a lot. Yea I'm guessing my speakers are hooked up to my headunit, of course I let bestbuy or circuit city (i dont remember which one) install it a long time ago. To lift the door seals up, is there a special way, or do I just yank them? But thanks again, and if anyone by chance has any pictures of them installing an amp and sub that'd be great. All of my stuff should be here on thursday or friday. But i'm fixing to go out and wash and clean the inside of my car reallll nice. Thanks again and if anyone has more info, please keep posting! And by the way, I do live in Huntsville.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The door sills just pull up. They're held on with clips and you have to pull pretty hard but they will come off. The kickpanels have 2 screws that you need to take out to remove them. If you open up the passenger kickpanel you'll be able to tell right away if your amp was bypassed because the wires will be cut and spliced together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys, yeah I technically live in huntsville, but it's kind of more out in madison but not far regardless, I'm going to see if I can do it with my friends, but if we get stuck, I'll definately let you know and we'll see what we can do, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well i have a first gen trep but this is how i did mine, i took my RCA's from the Deck down the slot behind my AC controls panel, then theres a cover under all this (its actually on the floor, but i dont know if this applies to 2nd gen treps) with 2 screws i took those 2 screws off removed that panel and then installed it under the carpet from there on it was simple.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
SilverBulletES said:
mopar, how did you run the speakers behind the glove box? did you have to pop the front cover of the dash off or what?
Yous should be able to feed the RCAs down behind the dash from the radio slot and they will come out where the passengers left foot would be. If you look under the glove compartment, there is an air vent. I tucked the wire behind this vent and zip tied it to it. On the right side I removed ran it behind hte kick panel and then under the door sills. If you do it this way, the wire should be completely hidden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts