·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask me...

·
Registered
328 Posts
VOODOO , explain why people would buy a ford?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just bought a new gateway computer, is that good?

800mhz
cd burner 12X
128mb ram
20 gig HD
56 k modem
3 yr parts labor warranty
Unlimited technical support
windows 98 2nd ed
no monitor or speakers
$600 total including shipping

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Good price...but you probably could've built one cheaper. Try www.pricewatch.com if you want to build a computer, you can find each little bitty piece you need at really good prices.

They're IIIIIIiiiiiiinnnnnsane!

I see that your wish for a lower rating is starting to come true...you are down to 4 stars! :p

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
He could've built a new, better PC, but probably not if he bought legal copies of the apps/os on the gateway...

Of course, if he already had a license of Win98SE, that point is moot... But he'd still have to support himself, something some people aren't willing to do.

Myself, I love building computers. I've got an Athlon 900 with 768Mb PC133 RAM and 60Gb of RAID0 storage that I absolutely love... The MSI K7T Turbo-R is one of the most stable motherboards I've ever worked with and I'll recommend it to anyone considering building an AMD system (before the Turbo-R, I had a Rev A K7T board which was also rock solid...)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Building computers is nice... but when you get older like me (even though im only 26)... ive been building computers for almost ten years now. I don't think ill ever build a computer again, unless its some type of server. I just can't be bothered with the hassle if something goes wrong. If you ever have a problem with the computer and u have to start calling tech support, everyone wants to pass the buck. I just can't be bothered with dealing with it myself. I work 10hrs a day almost doing computer ****, the last thing i want is to do more when i get home (at least where repairs are concerned).

If you buy say a Dell, you have one person where you can point the finger to. And actually... Dell's prices have gone down considerably in the past year or so. You can't build a comparable system for much cheaper compared to customizing a system at Dell's website.

I actually just bought a new computer last week. My home grown p3-500 was just being a *****... it wouldnt start up half the time.

I ended up buying a Compaq Deskpro. Its a basic system... actually part of their "business" line. They are very popular PCs for companies to have. The one I got is a P3/733 with 10gig HD, 128MB standard but I upgraded it to 384MB :D :D , 10gig HD and 48x CD rom for $720.

Thats actually not a bad price considering its a Compaq.... The one I got was a B-stock item from CDW (it was returned from its previous owner but never opened). Its in new condition, full 3yr warranty, etc. Their business PCs are not cheap... this one would have been about $900 new. They are VERY reliable. I have about 300 of them here (different CPU speeds)... but they are all pretty much the same PC and I dont think I have ever seen one go bad to date.

I took the TNT2 video car, TV tuner card, and 17gig HD from my old PC and threw it on after I got it. :D :D :D

My sister gets my old P3-500 MB & CPU and 128MB RAM as a hand me down. hahahaha

So for the guy that bought the Gateway, you definitely made a good purchase.

DjPiLL
'01 Silver R/T

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have the TV tuner card...ha ha...that was a novelty for a while...I can't even think of the last time I used it.

I want TIVO!!! haha

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ugh, computers and networking are what i do for a living, and a business. network support for a local childrens hospital, and I build/repair/upgrades and do housecalls for extra cash. I game test <not beta! but more like deveopment> for Activision and Disney Interactive.

I have 6 pc's :D :D all networked together 100Mb/s , sharing a single ip cable connection using w2k adv server with 2 NIC's acting as my gateway. <that system is an 866 w/512MB ram and 20gb hdd. i815 chipset/video> and it is also my webserver, hosts Mechwarrior 4 games all day long along with hosting Battlecomm and Gamevoice chat programs.

my main system, if you will, is a Thunderbird 1.33ghz w/512MB ram ,on an Abit KT7A-Raid mainboard with 95GB hdd space. SB Live!, GeForce 256 DDR, <need to upgrade that!>, Klipsch PRomedia v.2-400 speakers <kick Ass!>, 12x8x32 Acer CDR-w, 6x Toshiba DVD rom, Iomega JAz 1GB drive, 3com 10/100 NIC, and other stuff i forget.. heh

the rest of the systems are 3 p3-550's and 1 p2-400 in misc configs <one 550 is my wifes with an All in wonder card she uses all the time!>

fun fun fun

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
The TV tuner card can be very handy if im watching sports while im on the computer. Its a pain in the ass to keep turning around when a big play is made. I use the tuner card to project the TV in a little "P.I.P." window at the bottom right of my monitor screen. Its pretty cool.

Thrasher: U looking to get rid of your Geforce card? Whats the specs on it and how much are u looking to get for it if you part.

DjPiLL

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have my main computer (I have 4 networked over 3 stories in my house) hooked up through my Home Theater System. I love my MP3's! Everyone is amazed that the sound is coming from my computer! The whole house shakes....

Speaking of which, I'm watching "Castaway" again (the plane crash scene) holy crap, my mouse is actually vibrating across my mouse pad!

WWWIIILLLSSSOOONNNN!!!!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
OK, since we all own Intrepids and are into computers and networking, I'm also willing to guess that a lot of us are big Simpson's fans :)

They seem to go together ;)

I am!

Are you?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HeHe...

Anyway...

I don't do it for a business, although I should, I think I could make a heck of a living off charging people to fix their computers.

I currently have:

Athlon T-Bird 1.0 Gig, 30 gig HDD, Creative DVD-ROM (sucks), 512 MB Ram, CDR/RW, VooDoo 5500 (no relation to the name[me]) networked to 4 other computers. 3 of which are mine. I just bought a house so when I move in, I'll be networkin the whole house. I actually had a few questions about DSL routers if anyone could help me...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have too much crap to list.

Last time I checked, my storage locker has roughly 50 PCs in it. All PIIs or better.

MacG467

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My office currently has like 150 p3 733/866's, granted I can't move much around here, and i'm not even going to begin to count how many other misc pc's around here, 3 weeks ago we gave away 200 pc's/monitors to the salvation army, and i have another 80 monitors stacked and 65 pc's , <all pentiums!> for another salvation army pickup.

and thats just in my office area.
then theres the storage closets.. and all the rest of the new 17" monitors/Pc's I have sitting in our warehouse.

ugh

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The servicing center where I work (mortage company) just closed down...I don't even work in the MIS dept, but I have so many computers (over 200) just stacked up next to me. Nothing incredible, PII's... but very tempting! There's the same number of monitors and about a 30 or so printers. I get laid off myself in about a month or so.....hmmmm, I should get a parting gift!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts