DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should avoid while drilling/bolting/screwing something into the "front" of the trunk near the fold-down seats? To be safe lets say 2 feet from the back seat, thats where I might need to make some holes.

Thanks!!
Josiah

·
Woober Goobers!
50,368 Posts
There's this large container that contains a flammable liquid called gasoline that is under the trunk. You want to take a chance without visually verifying that where you're drilling is good? Open the rear door..make a reference mark for your rear seat line on the door sill and/or below it and crawl under there and visually check. Remember no one on here has a clue what you planned for a mod and the exact location of your drill holes. That's the course I'd take. By the way the gas tank is plastic and can't be patched.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My basic plan was to have an amp rack of some kind almost directly next to the rear seat. There would be no less than 2 screws and no more than 4 holding the thing to the floor. The holes would be made close to the "corner" of the rear seat and the trunk, and approximately 12 inches or so directly back from the rear seat. Just picture a box or something being bolted to the floor that is 1 foot deep, as wide as the trunk, and as high as the trunk (well, that section of the trunk). I'm no expert, I'm not even exactly sure where the gas tank is on this car. I know where the spare tire compartment hangs down from the rear, and i know where the muffler and resonator are, as well as the wheels (obviously lol), so if you could help me locate in reference to that, it would be great. Other than that, I am very tall and somewhat large, with knee and back problems so I would rather not have to crawl under the vehicle for an extended period to search for a spot to make the hole, but i may indeed have to. I could come up with another plan if the floor drilling is not desirable. Any other help would be great. Thanks!

Josiah

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you can't get under the car to verify this yourself, I would advise you don't drill at all. Auto makers make mid year changes to cars so just because someone tells you what is under their car doens' mean it is exactly the same under yours. Wires and brake lines may be routed differently from year to year. A previous owner or mechanic may have made changes(installed a longer brake line and tied the slack up against the floor, foor example) that are unique to your car.

Also, placement of screws through the trunk floor could present a big hazard in a rear end collision. The Ford Crown Victoria fires were due at least in part to the bolts that secured police gear to the trunk floor puncturing the fuel tank upon collision. That may be a remote danger, but the only way to be sure is to look at it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,368 Posts
I'm rather "large" myself at 6'7"@315lbs. Get a reference point with the door open for the bottom rear of the seat back and mark it on the sill with tape, pencil or whatever. Measure inside the trunk where you expect to drill and get under the car and look under there with those measurements in relationship to the reference point you made first. I'm not going to crawl under my car and do that work for you if you don't feel like it and I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me either.
Your alternative to drilling is to glue one half of some heavy duty velcro to the trunk carpet and mount all your electronics to a board or plate and glue the mating half of the velcro to that. Then you could remove it pretty easily. If someone has any other ideas they'll probably chime in if they see this thread and are interested enough.
EDIT: Also to add an idea is something like DodgeyAussie did and make a mount plate that hangs down from the rear deck where the 6x9s are. He made something with slides where he could move it in and out for access. A very slick idea..check out his gallery or ask him about it. I'd rather drill into the rear deck than down into the floor

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yeah, thats way more risk than I'm willing to take. When I built my amp rack I was trying to figure out how I would secure it as well. To solve the problem I put the box all the way against the seat back and built an MDF rach that surrounds the box and fits the entire shape of the trunk. In this way, neither the box nor the amp rack can move, and because I recessed my amp and capacitor below the top of the rack, I still have most of my floor space, except for where the box is. Take a look:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Where do ya put your suitcases and stuff in that car?

As far as the mounting of components, take a piece of plywood and attach them to the plywood and mount it flat against the rear seat back framing in the trunk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts