DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guy hit my car while parked in a parking lot. It was hit on the drive side.

Got new bumper and new headlight(driver side).

but now i have a brandnew headlight and a cloudy headlight :(

The bodyshop guy offered me $234 for new headlight + installation to get the other side replaced.

I can install it my self tho.

If i clean the old headlight with the headlight cleaner will it look good as the new headlight or close to new? If so which cleaner works the best?

or should i go with a new headlight if so where can i get a cheap headlight new online?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Should try to polish it up !! Start with wet/dry sandpaper a 600 or 800 grit (depending on how bad it is weathered you might need to use the 400 first)
and then 1000, 2000 grit, a rubbing compound, and then I use Meguires Scratch X plastic polish , works like a charm !!! No 2xx bucks nonsense !! :wink:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think my headlight lenses are more blurred and scratchy than most, so every time I try to polish them up I get VERY temporary results. meaning like after 3 days or so they look terrible again. I am going to buy both new lenses and bulbs soon just because I'm sick of dealing with it and can notice how dim they are at night. Do what you think is best, but i've been trying sand and polish headlights ever since my first trep and didn't really help much. Its not going to be a permanent solution and its not going to look nearly as good as a new headlight would. Just my opinion.

Josiah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Should try to polish it up !! Start with wet/dry sandpaper a 600 or 800 grit (depending on how bad it is weathered you might need to use the 400 first)
and then 1000, 2000 grit, a rubbing compound, and then I use Meguires Scratch X plastic polish , works like a charm !!! No 2xx bucks nonsense !! :wink:
Where can i get this stuff? What kind of rubbing compound?

thanks

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
3M rubbung compund in your car care section of Wally. You have to take your time with each step, don't rush it and use water with the sandpaper.
If you're confident with power tools you can use a buffer for the last step (rubbing compound) but be careful not to burn the lense.
JLWX5 maybe you're not doing it right bcs I have refinished one of my headlights just like I described and my friends couldn't tell it from my new one !! The secret is to keep using the Scratch X compound once in a while . it creates a barrier against further oxidation after polished.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The bodyshop guy offered me $234 for new headlight + installation to get the other side replaced.[/QUOTE

New headlight or headlights. 1 headlight damn sure shouldn't cost over $150 so he's charging you $80 for installation!! I don't know if you have a 1st or 2nd gen but if you have 1 new headlight you aren't going to be able to polish the other 1 to look as good. Spring for a new headlight so both will be nice and clear.

Here is an ebay page: headlights

·
Registered
509 Posts
JLWX5 said:
I think my headlight lenses are more blurred and scratchy than most, so every time I try to polish them up I get VERY temporary results. meaning like after 3 days or so they look terrible again. I am going to buy both new lenses and bulbs soon just because I'm sick of dealing with it and can notice how dim they are at night. Do what you think is best, but i've been trying sand and polish headlights ever since my first trep and didn't really help much. Its not going to be a permanent solution and its not going to look nearly as good as a new headlight would. Just my opinion.

Josiah
you might not be doing it right, when i read some of the old posts on here about "restoring" our headlights... The best way it worked for me is sandpaper and toothpaste, and i honestly cannot tell you what grade sandpaper i applied on the headlights, but it was just that, i sanded both of them with a little water then applied toothpaste then sanded them again, for 15 mins each..

to finish up though after you clean all this mess out, i hope i took them out to clean them, just apply clear coat after, but be careful not to mess it up, beacause it's just like paint you can over paint it, and it looks bad.

results should = "like" brand new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You Can Buy A New Lens For Around $70 - $80 At Most Web Sites. May Be Worth It Rather Then Polishing It. They Are Easy To Install Yourself

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Takes 5 mins to install yourself!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts