DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when ordering a SATA dvd burner drive and a SATA hdd, what type of cables do i order? sata or sata II. what is the difference? the hdd is sata 3.0Gb/s. the dvd burner is a samsung oem burner with lightscribe. thanks for quick help....

·
Registered
204 Posts
sata/sata2 both use the same connectors. You probably cant find a sata-1 only drive anymore anyway.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. i went with a sata hdd and an IDE dvd burner. already have an IDE dvd rom. is there anything special i will need to do in order to hook up the new sata. can i simply transfer all data from the IDE HDD and make the sata the new master?? if i have to, i can do a fresh install on the new HDD. thanks again...

·
Registered
193 Posts
okay, do I understand this right in that you tried to upgrade your old PC, which had IDE drives, with newer Serial ATA drives?... have you checked if your motherboard is even compatible with SATA drives? what type of motherboard do you have?.. if you dont know just look inside and see if you have below the big IDE connectors the sata connectors, which are like a quarter of an inch long and are usually labeld on the board with SATA 1-4 or 6 depending on how many there are... is there even converter plugs to transfere IDE to SATA in case he doesnt have a Serial ATA capable MoBo?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for not updating. i got an MSI P6NGM mobo (1 IDE, 4 SATA connections) along with a C2D 4500. i simply re-used my old e-machines tower.
so is it possible to just copy from old HDD to new? i did a fresh install to verify everything fired up with the old drive. thanks again...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Depends on what OS you're using. With XP you will most likely need to make a driver disc and use a floppy and do a fresh install on the new drive. During the DOS like install you press F6 and pop in the floppy and select your SATA controller.

I have no idea with Vista.

If you're using Linux and the kernel already has SATA drivers for your controller then just to a DD (DiskDump) and reinstall the bootloader and edit the fstab file.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am using XP. will check back for further info once the new drive arrives. thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts