DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm looking for a way to clean my rims, I've basically skipped over them every time I wash my car, because, well they are the flower design and have a lot of little holes that I can't just get with a scrub brush. I've considered using a pressure washer (especially since my grandparents randomly bought one the last time I washed the Trep, but they say they get to use it first)

Any ideas are appreciated. I have a pic, but it make the rims look a lot cleaner sine I did a little HDR editing in Photomatix 3.

Here's one not edited, but it;s before I ever washed it. LOL

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The power washer should take off allot of the road grime but probably wont get all the set in break dust.
a good foaming wheel cleaner that will stick to the surface of the rim and a bottle brush may be the only thing that will get it all off.
oh and one more thing i found in cleaning my wheels is to take them off its allot less stressful on the old back.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'll try that ASAP I'm actually sick and out of school right now.... Stomach virus. I'll find out if I can use the pressure washer, I'm sure after they clean the driveway I'll be able to....

Another thing, my car is missing almost all of the clear coat, what's the best way to remove the last little bit... It looks like 2 wet spots on the trunk, and I'm wondering how I'd go about removing it to make it look better until I get the cash to get it painted.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL Sorry, the pics come that size from my cam, and I hardly ever resize, unless I have to... LOL

But yeah, the rims and litle bit of clearcoat are /really/ annoying.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Holy big pic batman!!

Meguir's sells this stuff called "Hot Rims". They have a special one for chrome wheels, painted wheels, and aluminum wheels, and Im pretty sure a universal formula as well.

It is really really good stuff. You just spray it on the wheel when you wash it, let it soak for a few minutes, and hit it with the hose. You dont even have to look at the wheel, its that easy to do, no scrubbing or anything. It literally melts the brake dust right off them.

·
Generating clever phrase...
688 Posts
I have to agree with what megatrep said, but if you let them get as bad as I did you may want to use a toothbrush to get the little spots close go the center. Otherwise that hot weeks stuff works really well

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your replies, but does anyone know something to remove clear coat as well??? Like said before, 98% of my clear coat is gone, and I want the car to look at least uniform until I get it painted.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for all of your replies, but does anyone know something to remove clear coat as well??? Like said before, 98% of my clear coat is gone, and I want the car to look at least uniform until I get it painted.
On the car itself?

Your pretty much SOL. You have to add it for it to look right. Its pretty half-assed, but what you could do is wet-sand where its missing with ~800 grit (only enough to scuff it, dont take too much off) and rattle can some clearcoat on there. It wont look good, but it hopefully will look better than it did before.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
I would take the wheel off and clean them. It's much easier to work over top of them than leaning and crouching while they are on the car. I use to do that on my old 97 Corde.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the thing is, the only spot where there is any clear coat is on the trunk, and it's 2 spots that look like standing water on the paint. here is a pic, notice the 2 wet looking spots? That's the last of my clear coat.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Holy big pic batman!!

Meguir's sells this stuff called "Hot Rims". They have a special one for chrome wheels, painted wheels, and aluminum wheels, and Im pretty sure a universal formula as well.

It is really really good stuff. You just spray it on the wheel when you wash it, let it soak for a few minutes, and hit it with the hose. You dont even have to look at the wheel, its that easy to do, no scrubbing or anything. It literally melts the brake dust right off them.
I'll l have to get some of that stuff. I wash my wheels every time I wash the car but this looks like it would make the job easier.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well the thing is, the only spot where there is any clear coat is on the trunk, and it's 2 spots that look like standing water on the paint. here is a pic, notice the 2 wet looking spots? That's the last of my clear coat.

Nope, you have it backwards lol. Those 2 spots are where the clearcoat first started disappearing. You still have clear on the rest of your car except for those 2 spots. Your car wouldn't be nearly as shiny if you didnt have any clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I really like those rims but I know they are hard to keep clean, I had very similar rims on a Taurus SHO I had

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, you have it backwards lol. Those 2 spots are where the clearcoat first started disappearing. You still have clear on the rest of your car except for those 2 spots. Your car wouldn't be nearly as shiny if you didnt have any clearcoat.

But, those two spots /ARE/ the shiniest spots on the car. I took like 15 pictures and that was the one that showed it the best, you'd have to see it in real life to see that the rest of the car is not as shiny. I'll try and take another picture today. MAybe I can get a better angle

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
But, those two spots /ARE/ the shiniest spots on the car. I took like 15 pictures and that was the one that showed it the best, you'd have to see it in real life to see that the rest of the car is not as shiny. I'll try and take another picture today. MAybe I can get a better angle
How does it feel to the touch compared to the other parts of the car? The rest of the car should feel buttery smooth, and the parts on the trunk should feel almost like sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I dont see how clear can fall off the ENTIRE car so uniformly..but stay just on them 2 spots.. unless whoever painted it used 2 types of paint that were not compatable..I'm assuming it's been repainted ....but still I would also assume that there would still be pieces of clear here and there ..thats really weird. ..as for cleaning the rims.. get a med/long bristle brush made for cleaning cars..and use the spray cleaner as well. ..
for your pic to show the shiny spots...take it to where you can kinda see a reflection of a light source..like the sun....overcast days are not good for getting paint detail pics

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Those are the 2 spots with all the layers of clear, after further examination today, There are bits of clear left if you look on that picture again, look around the antenna there is semi-circle around it then a line around the whole car, on that line and down there is still a layer of clear coat, but it's not as smooth or as shiny as the two spots on the trunk. The roof has not clear though, and the driver's side front pillar doesn't either but the passenger side has some clear that's come off too..

I can't wait to get a new paint job. This just bothers me to extremes.

Also, before we got the car it was sitting in someone's yard being used as a toy box for their kid. It was exposed to the elements and still is and will be unless I get a cover for it. So that could be the reason most of the clear is gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts