DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed to mobile one synthetic 10w-30 in a 01 Dodge Stratus w/ the 2.7 engine.

Whats the quickest way I can tell if my engine has sludge buildup in it? I cant tell by removing the dipstick or oil fill cap... im sure theres another way..

valve cover? i dont wanna have to replace the gasket :(

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
drain the oil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ryan D. said:
drain the oil
I did that last week when I changed the oil to synthetic but it drained out fine... it was black and had been last changed 1,000 miles ago before I changed it to synthetic when I bought it.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
You will only see sludge inside the engine. The typical milky stuff under the oil cap is not sludge, it's from condensation, but it can eventually lead to sludge if not taken care of. Usually, this comes from an engine that is not driven long enough to reach full operating temp. A bad PCV system can also cause problems with condensation. Best way to look for sludge is to pull a valve cover or drop the oil pan.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
well, the easiest way, is to change the oil, drive a hundred or so miles, then change agian. if the oil got dirty really fast.. that probably means that there is gross stuff floating around in places that dont drain... aka... heads.

A good Synthetic oil will start dissolving sludge, and either deposit it in the filter, or absorb it and turn darker. As long as the 2.7 has had its Timing chain and Water pump changed at the recommended interval, (between 70 and 100K), a few good oil changes with synthetic will clean the engine right up, and the drained oil will look almost as good as the stuff you pour in.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Use engine flush as directed.
Change oil.
Put in new oil (synthetic is best for cleaning properties due to superior additives in the blend).
That's about all you can do without tearing it apart.

Oh yeah, oil blackens from the byproducts of combustion, so this is not a good indicator of sludge or not.

Flush it. Then use mobil one.

Good luck

BJ

·
Registered
982 Posts
gary680 said:
in response to your thread subject line, i was going to say, "open hood and look for 2.7 emblem"
OOHH that's not fair :shocked:

The only way to know for sure (unless you get chunks out when you drain the oil)is to look inside the engine... Either pull a valve cover, oil pan or use a small camera.. but you will have to see the inside parts to check for "sludge"..

Don't worry !! just drive it.. :auto_05:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Internal inspection is really the only way to tell. You can start by having a good hard look down inside the oil filler hole. If that's dirty looking then everything else that you can't see is probably dirtier.

In general, looking at the color of the oil won't tell you anything. When my brother rebuilt his 1959 Jaguar engine, he took about 3 quarts of solid muck out of the engine. Yet his oil always stayed clean looking for the first 2000 - 2500 miles. He used to wonder why the manual said the oil capacity was 6 quarts, when he could get about 3.5 quarts in before the dipstick showed full. He found out during the rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts