DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...anyone ever race a dokata r/t in their trep before? I went up against a single cab, silver r/t with at least an exhaust upgrade yesterday. We were at a stoplight and I knew he was gonna try to be tough so I put my 00 r/t trep into autostick just in case. The light changed and he went for it. He took off first and I, being unsure if we were gonna actually race, let him take off about a truck length before I got on it. I floored it and when I hit about 40 I caught up to him. I heard his loud exhaust stop and start as he was shifting. I got to about 65 and we were next to eachother. I stayed right next to him, both of use door to door and we had to let off at about 90 due to another light. I know I won't be believed but I thought for sure he would leave me behind. I know he was shifting pretty good cuz he never slowed down any between shifts so he wasn't a slow shifter...I was VERY surprised I could keep up with him...anyone else ever have a race similar to this and results??????? I don't know the 1/4 mile times for a trep r/t vs the dakota single cab r/t but I would have bet $$ that I would have been left behine...

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I don't know what the numbers are, but my understanding has always been that the Dakota R/T's aren't really anything to worry about. Don't know how I got that impression.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Regular cab Dakota R/T's are usually bottom 15 second trucks.
Very torquey and hard to hook up. If they do they are tough 1/8 milers.
I'd be confident an Intrepid R/T could pull from a 5.9L Dak from a roll but find is hard to believe he had you by a truck length and you caught him by 40mph.
Another part that doesn't add up is the Dak letting off as he was shifting. All factory 5.9L R/T's are automatic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm guessing R/T clone....very common for guys to clone Dakota R/T's...esp. considering the shifting...not that I'm saying you wouldn't have beaten him anyhow...THAT I just don't know...

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have two friends that have r/t dakotas. always wanted to race but never did yet, intrepids r/t are just as fast as dakotas r/t. depends on the day any driver i guess. it will be a close race,both run 1/4 mile in 15's

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a '96 dakota 4 banger, and a trep 3.3, and after driving them both at least five thousand miles a piece, i can say the dakota has a ton more acceleration. it must be because of the weight, the trep is a tank and the kota is a feather light. so i think any dakota with a 318 or a 360 would slaughter any V6 intrepid, based on the fact that my 2.5L truck is quicker than my 3.3L car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it was a clone or what? It looked pretty much exactly as a stock r/t would come from the factory...all the stickers looked legit and in the proper places...maybe his foot slipped off the accelerator? Maybe he was trying to shift it manually with the lower gears then into drive???? I dunno...all I know is I thought a 5.9 v-8 would smoke me...lol....I'm not a huge racer so I don't do this all the time..just thought mopar vs mopar would be cool and it was...thanks for all the comments...just didn't want to come off like alot of the other comments on street stories like i'm some sort of pro driver or asshole....know what i mean?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
DCboy said:
i have a '96 dakota 4 banger, and a trep 3.3, and after driving them both at least five thousand miles a piece, i can say the dakota has a ton more acceleration. it must be because of the weight, the trep is a tank and the kota is a feather light. so i think any dakota with a 318 or a 360 would slaughter any V6 intrepid, based on the fact that my 2.5L truck is quicker than my 3.3L car.
You do realize that:
1.) The 3.3 is nothing compared to a 3.5HO in an Intrepid
2.) Your '96 Dakota isn't even the same generation as the one he raced
3.) The 5.9 isn't as quick as most people think it is.

I'm not siding with anybody here, I just think that comparison is completly irrelative and misleading.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
You do realize that:
1.) The 3.3 is nothing compared to a 3.5HO in an Intrepid
2.) Your '96 Dakota isn't even the same generation as the one he raced
3.) The 5.9 isn't as quick as most people think it is.

I'm not siding with anybody here, I just think that comparison is completly irrelative and misleading.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night, just didn't bother to post.

·
Registered
702 Posts
We owned a 5.9 Durango R/T and that thing was an absolute dog. It might've been nicer if it weren't for the 11/13 mpg, measly 255hp rating and slop-poop tranny. Even with all that torque (345lbs/ft), which was the engine's only other good point besides being bulletproof, I couldn't chirp a single tire dry -- granted it was all wheel drive, but still...

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
yeah it had to be a clone if you could tell he was shifting, there was never an R/T 5-speed

plus R/T dakotas are slow, but intrepid R/T's are slow too

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Gman2000R/T said:
granted it was all wheel drive, but still...
You make it sound like awd doesn't make much difference; hell, a Murcielago can't even chirp a tire (without burning up the clutch) and it has 580 hp!

Back to origional topic, I'm gonna guess that the trep will get slightly beat off the line till the end of the Dakota's 1st gear. On a highway roll the trep will be atleast just as fast, if not faster.

I've beat a 5.9 quad cab Ram before, but that's a lot heavier.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
01redMS said:
yeah it had to be a clone if you could tell he was shifting, there was never an R/T 5-speed

plus R/T dakotas are slow, but intrepid R/T's are slow too
......which makes Ford Focuses VERY VERY VERY slow??? :dunno:

In '01 when I purchased my car, there really were very few cars that were faster for the money. Mustang GT.......probably a couple others too.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
A stock Dakota R/T isn't very fast at all, but there is a HUGE aftermarket for the 5.9...it can be made VERY fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts