DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 trep 3.5L

Well, I have decided to replace the lower intake gasket after several symptoms- high idle-rough idle-stuttering during stopping (now starting this dying thing, like back pressure?)-misfire on 3 what used to be 5 before changing the plugs wires and plenum gasket-error codes 43-2 and 31. HOWEVER, when going to drain the antifreeze, the valve is broke, what seems to be inside. I can turn the valve but it does not open. any ideas on how to change this valve or drain the fluid or any other ideas that may make it to where I don't even have to change the gasket ;) !?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I know its kinda obvious, but are you sure you turned the draincock all the way? You have to turn it at least a quarter of a turn before you will notice anything coming out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I know its kinda obvious, but are you sure you turned the draincock all the way? You have to turn it at least a quarter of a turn before you will notice anything coming out.

lol...yep, turned it 1/4 turn so as the valve was up and down. Even took a nail and tried to see if something was blocking it while it was open. felt like the valve was still shut.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Also, why are you trying to do that? Don't have to drain it from there. Easiet thing i have done is take of the upper radiator hose from the radiator side and just drain the coolant otu from what. You'll get it all out just fine that way .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ran into the same problem on my 97 3.3 Trep. Couldn't get anything to come out of the drain cock. Was going to replace the radiator hoses anyways so I just punched a hole in the bottom of the lower radiator hose with a screwdriver and after it finished draining removed the hose entirely and replaced.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
also its not just twist it, you have to pull it out to. Sometimes i've had to grab it wth plies and pull it out as i turn it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gr8crash said:
also its not just twist it, you have to pull it out to. Sometimes i've had to grab it wth plies and pull it out as i turn it
Ahhh, thanks gr8, thats kinda what I was wondering!! Also, in regards to your other reply here, just taking the hose off the thermo housing will get enough fluid out? I thought you'd have to drain the block as well so that nothing gets into the intake? but whatever works man! Thanks again!

Ok, so what about the high idle etc, any ideas???
The misfiring changing from #5 to #3 after plenum gasket?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well don't take it from the thermo side, take the hose of from the radiator side you'll get al ot out, of drop the lwoer rad hose and you'll get virtually all the coolant out. Which uis prob the best way cuz you'll be able to reaplce virtually all of it with new fluid. I've taken it from teh upper and gotten most of what i need out of the way, but gongi form the lwoer would probably be the best over all. Just be careful if you use the pliers, you don't wanna break tht alil fitting. Best thing for that i have done is just grab it with a pair of pliers, and pullin out steady, not realy hard but pull steadily as you turn it from teh closed position to the open and it should pull out just fine. And when ya put it in do it by hand as best you can, but you might have to take the plier and give it that lil extra turn just to get in back in tigh, just don't over tighten it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spfrosty said:
97 trep 3.5L

Well, I have decided to replace the lower intake gasket after several symptoms- high idle-rough idle-stuttering during stopping (now starting this dying thing, like back pressure?)-misfire on 3 what used to be 5 before changing the plugs wires and plenum gasket-error codes 43-2 and 31. HOWEVER, when going to drain the antifreeze, the valve is broke, what seems to be inside. I can turn the valve but it does not open. any ideas on how to change this valve or drain the fluid or any other ideas that may make it to where I don't even have to change the gasket ;) !?

Also need to mention....now getting about 10 freakin' mpg! and at $2.90/gal who the he11 can afford that. Just incase it may give you another clue to this prob.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
10? wow thats pretty crappy. Does kinda sound like you have an intake leak. I'd try the lower gaskets and see if that helps

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gr8crash said:
10? wow thats pretty crappy. Does kinda sound like you have an intake leak. I'd try the lower gaskets and see if that helps
Well, thats what I thought too. But then I noticed the misfire moved from 5 to 3 so thought maybe it could be something else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, my 97 3.3 was a beast to get flowing. Hardhead that I am, I finally convinced the thing to open. It's tricky. Has to be 'just-so.'

Boron-X

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had to use a pair of needle nose to get my drain cock open when I did my lower intake gaskets

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apcsox said:
I had to use a pair of needle nose to get my drain cock open when I did my lower intake gaskets
Well, the best thing I found to turn the valve was the slotted end of a bottle jack handle, though I did not get it to drain cuz I didnt know it also had to be pulled out

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
spfrosty said:
Originally Posted by spfrosty
97 trep 3.5L

Well, I have decided to replace the lower intake gasket after several symptoms- high idle-rough idle-stuttering during stopping (now starting this dying thing, like back pressure?)-misfire on 3 what used to be 5 before changing the plugs wires and plenum gasket-error codes 43-2 and 31. HOWEVER, when going to drain the antifreeze, the valve is broke, what seems to be inside. I can turn the valve but it does not open. any ideas on how to change this valve or drain the fluid or any other ideas that may make it to where I don't even have to change the gasket !?
spfrosty said:
Also need to mention....now getting about 10 freakin' mpg! and at $2.90/gal who the he11 can afford that. Just incase it may give you another clue to this prob.

Ok, yet another update: its pretty rainy today and a new CEL came on today. (I cleared the codes Sunday) ---code 24, TPS signal does not correlate w/MAP OR TPS input above/below acceptable volt limits---

could this be the reason for high idle????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts