DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the temp gauge went to the red. Uh oh, thats not good. I figured out that the radiator fans stopped working. Or so I thought. They are turning on when the A/C is on. Without the A/C the fans won't come on at all.

Is this a common problem with an easy fix?

Thanks for any help folks.

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
What year, what engine? (certain details of radiator fan controls vary by year and engine)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year, what engine? (certain details of radiator fan controls vary by year and engine)
Oh yea, sorry I forgot that part.

2001 Intrepid ES. Originally had a 3.2. Now it has a 1999 3.5 from a 300m.

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
It sounds like your PCM is messed up.

The same temperature sensor that controls the temperature gage also tells the PCM to turn the fans on hi or low. The fact that the PCM is able to turn the fans on when the a.c. is on suggests that the wiring and relays between the PCM and fans is good. So, since the PCM is able to turn the fans on when the a.c. is running, if your temp. gage is in the red, the PCM should also be able to turn the fans on then too.

Here is the fan run chart from the 2001 FSM:

Product Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
x2 on the PCM being Hosed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What tells the PCM the engine temp? Isn't there a sensor that could be broken? (fingers crossed hoping for a better solution)

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
What tells the PCM the engine temp? Isn't there a sensor that could be broken? (fingers crossed hoping for a better solution)
From my previous post: "The same temperature sensor that controls the temperature gage also tells the PCM to turn the fans on hi or low."

So the temperature sensor is read by the PCM. The temperature gage reading and the fan speed (off, low, high - see the Fan Operation table in my previous post) are derived from that same sensor output. I think you will have trouble thinking of a credible failure that could simultaneously have the gage reading in the red and the fans not being turned on (the fact that the fans come on with the a.c. proves that the relays and wiring between PCM and fan motors are working).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, I get the connection now. the sensor is good.

I've already changed the PCM 3 times for other issues in the past 3 years. I got them from a company in south FLA. Do you have a recommendation for another supplier?

Or, how do I get a used one from the boneyard programmed to my vehicle?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
I believe 2001 has at least one circuit that's different from the previous years. A sensor that was previously read via the BCM no goes to the PCM? Not sure of which circuit. But that and the wiring makes the 2001 different from 1998-2000 years. And of course 2002-2004 is completely different with a combined TCM/PCM.

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
I believe 2001 has at least one circuit that's different from the previous years. A sensor that was previously read via the BCM no[w] goes to the PCM? Not sure of which circuit. But that and the wiring makes the 2001 different from 1998-2000 years. And of course 2002-2004 is completely different with a combined TCM/PCM.
The ambient temperature sensor (not the same as engine coolant temperature sensor) is the signal that changed from going to the BCM to going to PCM in 2001.

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
I have to wonder if re-flashing your existing PCM (vs. replacing the PCM) would likely fix the problem. My thought is that it's not a hardware (PCM engine temperature reading circuitry or radiator cooling fan relay drivers) failure, but a firmware glitch/corruption.

Ron may (or may not) agree, and can advise if it might be easier and cheaper to get a reflash than replacing the PCM. I believe you'd hand a Chrysler dealer $$ for a re-flash. Or same 3rd-party you bought the PCM from might also do a re-flash for you - might even not charge for that since you bought the PCM from them - or might replace the PCM at no charge. Ron might advise which way he'd recommend for combination of least hassle/risk/cost.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
And what Trim level do you have? Grey Sentry key?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
You would need someone with a DRB III tool to set the VIN in a used PCM from the yard. Or the dealer and we know how the dealers don't like to deal with used modules or extort huge sums of $$$$ for it if they will do it.

Your SKIMM module and PCM have have to have the correct VIN and matching PIN Secret Key data has to match between them. That requires the DRB III.

The other reason would be if you have SRS Air Bag seats the VIN in the PCM has to be correct for that option.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to get a used PCM from the boneyard, and have it programmed. Can I use a controller from a 300m? ( I replaced the original 3.2 engine with a 3.5 from a 99 300m)?

If it is doable, what benefits are there to using the 300m vs the Trep PCM?

Thanks, guys, you are all so helpful.

·
Registered
756 Posts
only other thing i can think is juggle the relays around and see if it makes a difference.
ac might have a different circuit triggered by the high pressure sensor for high fan.
using linux i don't have access to all the wiring diagrams i did before from mitchell.
those things are easy to follow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You would need someone with a DRB III tool to set the VIN in a used PCM from the yard. Or the dealer and we know how the dealers don't like to deal with used modules or extort huge sums of $$$$ for it if they will do it.

Your SKIMM module and PCM have have to have the correct VIN and matching PIN Secret Key data has to match between them. That requires the DRB III.

The other reason would be if you have SRS Air Bag seats the VIN in the PCM has to be correct for that option.
I've found some used 3.2 2001 Treps in the LKQ yards around me. However, there are a few 300m controllers in other yards available for just a few dollars more. Is there any advantage to getting a 300 vs Trep controller? I have a 99 300m 3.5 motor in the vehicle now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have obtained a PCM for my vehicle. Could someone please explain how the re-programming is done?

Does the controller need to be in my vehicle when it is flashed?

Besides my VIN I have a 4 digit password for my car. Is there anything else needed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have obtained a PCM for my vehicle. Could you please explain how the re-programming is done?

Does the controller need to be in my vehicle when it is flashed?

I have a 4 digit password for my car. Is there anything else needed?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
756 Posts
it's done by the dealershi[p.
yes, it needs to be connected to the car.
they will flash through the obd2 poprt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts