DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all ... just blew my radiator (didn't get a real good look at it, but it looks like probably the passenger side radiator side tank). I read in another thread someone thought the side tanks on some aftermarket ones were pretty cheap feeling. Is it worth it to get an OEM one?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Don't buy one from a junkyard. . I know, been there, did that and you'll be in the same boat again before long. Go to AdvanceAutoParts.com then go to retailmenot.com and find some discount codes. Buy online and pick up in the store. You can save yourself $35 on a new rad. That's what I did this time around.

·
Premium Member
17,328 Posts
I agree - no junk yard radiators - it's almost predictable that a plastic side tank will rupture after X no. of hours of heat and pressure and Y thermal cycles.

There's probably a lot more risk of an aftermarket one leaking a lot sooner than you would expect (typical failure time when they do fail: about 1 year - BTDT). Some aftermarket brands may be worse than others, but not sure if the LH community has determined what might be a reliable brand to go with. Yes - they are guaranteed for life, but replacing it is not a fun job.

Only you can make the decision between the risk and cost of OEM vs. aftermarket.

My $0.02...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the help. Definitely not getting a junkyard one unless I needed a temporary one NOW. The ones on RockAuto range from $72 to $106, and the one on factorydiscountparts.com is $225. I'd rather not pay that much, but I don't want this happening again. I got lucky and was only 3 miles from home.

I guess I'm going to order one from Factory Discount Parts and hope it shows up fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts