DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 2004 is leaking coolant. When i was inspecting the radiator i noticed under the large upper hose what looked like a place something is supposed to be screwed into. Im not sure what goes there but in the pic it looks like I can see the inside parts of the radiator. Is it a hose connection of some kind or just supposed to be plugged up. It has threads also.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Rim

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Earlier years of 2nd gen LH cars with 3.2/3.5 engines had an engine oil cooler heat exchanger in the radiator. I forget exactly when - maybe 2002 or 2003, Chrysler de-contented the oil cooling (supply tee at the oil pressure switch port. hoses to and from the radiator, a check valve/flow restrictor, and return port at the oil pan). The 2.7 cars did not have the oil cooler, even in the earlier years.

Aftermarket commonized on the radiator with the internal heat exchanger and supply/return ports, which could be used for all applications - with and without the oil cooler loop. They may have done that even before the cooler was decontented on the 3.2/3.5 cars.

Most likely, your radiator got replaced at some point with a "one size fits all" aftermarket one, i.e., has the internal heat exchanger and ports, - when that happens, the ports simply get left unconnected. (I guess it's also possible that the factory used up any remaining inventory of oil cooler radiators during the transition to no oil cooler - I don't know if they actually did that.)

Here's a photo from Rock Auto showing the cooler ports on the radiator from one of the manufacturers - all manufacturers offer only the one version for all 2nd gen LH cars:
Rectangle Grille Gas Font Electronic device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts