DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just curiuos. To anyone that has put a stereo in ther Treps, did the radio trim pannel fit funny? i have tried 2 diffrent makers of trim peices and they all sit funny with the new stereo that the trim pannel won't fit back on correct. does anyone have one that look stock? if so where did you get it.? if i can't get it could someone grab me one and i'll send them money? let me know thanx

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine looked like that also when I was using a Best Kits adaptor. When I switched radios and got a Metra adaptor it fit fine. They should have Metra at a nearby Best Buy or a real car audio shop.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the Metra fit nice? was it cut or made diffrently? cuz i tried 2 diffrent kits and tehy both sat funny and pushed the trim pannel out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went to the car stereo install entrance at our local Best Buy and they gave me an awesome dash kit. Your head unit fits completely flush with the dash. It's an American International Car Stereo E-Z Mounting Kit. The model was CD-K640. I have installed 13 different head units in friend's cars and this is the best dash kit I have ever seen. (Thank goodness it was for my own car) :music:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had the same problem. The reason is not becuase of the dash kit itself, its because the 1.5 din opening is too shallow. 1.5 din radios used in mopar and gm cars are taller so the are shallower and don't need to go as deep. Aftermarket 1 din stereos are shorter so they need to go deeper to have the same components. So what happens is that the radio bottoms out... i have found a "temperary" solution... to allow the trim piece to fit around the opening.. unlock the metal sheath on the radio.. the installation sheath included with the radio.. and let the radio slide forward somewhat.. remember to leave the sheath in the mounting bracket like it should be. Then the mounting bracket will screw down all the way and allow the dash face to latch on. Its not very pretty but it works.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yeah, there is some black piece (venting maybe?) that makes the depth a little too small for aftermarket stereos. Just me, but I would rather have a corner of a trim panel out about 1/8" than have the whole H/U sticking out a little ways. I thought I remember reading somewhere that someone cut a chunk out of that black piece so everything would look nice. It might be helpful to know what the hell that black piece is first before cutting a big hole in it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
subsonic said:
I went to the car stereo install entrance at our local Best Buy and they gave me an awesome dash kit. Your head unit fits completely flush with the dash. It's an American International Car Stereo E-Z Mounting Kit. The model was CD-K640. I have installed 13 different head units in friend's cars and this is the best dash kit I have ever seen. (Thank goodness it was for my own car) :music:
i got an american international adapter too and mine still sits a little funny....it seems that the space behind the radio isnt deep enough to accomodate my head unit and the wiring harness....i probably should pull it back out and shorten the wires eh

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem too. More so with my Clarion CD player than my Sony. The sony only Sticks out about 1/8". But it is still unsightly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have a Clarion headunit, and it does stick out too much. It is a longer radio, I compaired it to my other ones :( oh well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts