DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of making a ram-air hood? I have seen a couple of sites where they have taken the airbox, flipped it over and cut the bottom out. Then they find a good place to have it match up with the hood and cut a hole. Buy a scoop from JC Whitney or the like and you have RAM-AIR. Not that I relish the idea of cutting up my hood.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
That isn't a bad idea, but I don't particularily like the idea of the scoop being way off to the side like that.

Perhaps it could be done on a junkyard hood to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just stick a cone filter on each throttle body. Do some piping for the PCV and IAC, than put a big scoop right where the hood hits the wind shield.

·
Registered
533 Posts
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/intrepid.html
Seems like you could modify these scoops to make them more than just cosmetic. Make a little box for a filter to line up with the ducts. Definately like their looks, but would set it up on an extra hood

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know jnutz knows those aren't functional to begin with (just gotta throw it in :))

He's right though, as I'd prolly have them sittin "into" the hood a little more, rather than on top. I was toying with an idea of finding some louvers off a viper hood and adding them on to get rid of the hot air under the hood. Just a thought, though.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Im think about adding those hood scoops im probably going to order them and ta spoiler there spoiler looks nice buts its to damn expenisive my freinds he selling me a grand touring of his is 300 for a 150. its a good price after agaust 30 my treped will be finsihed with exterior mods and then you guys will see the pics

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought about a Ram-Air hood for my Trep for the longest time. Now, somebody pull up the areodynamic profile for the Intrepid and you will see that the drag coeficient is very low because the only place wind hits the friggin car is on the GRILL! An intake right off the road under the current nose (shaped like a small oval jet intake) or you could cut a similar shape hole where the front licence plate goes (if legal in your state). Route some sort of ducting to the bottom of the L_intake after a hole or two has been cut in the air box and blammo! Ram_Air for all of us.
So I guess we need to go to the basics that RamAir is just forced air. I have a ricer buddy that made some killer Civics and his ram air was similar to that previously described. Cheap too! NOT an expensive 1200 dollar kit like the Camaro has. Anyway, maybe I'll find a shop here in Columbus, GA that can hook up a bolt-on for under the nose or Lister can get it going since it seems he has some associates in this biz already.
I'm a pencil and paper draftsman, so I haven't Photoshopped my idea. :cool:

·
Registered
502 Posts
those ICE-Man intakes for the Neons and shtuf are shaped like that oval you describe. a lot of people buy those for the smaller cars.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If any of you guys are looking for those drop in scoops/louvres from a Viper, i know where you can get them. The fiberglass shop i worked at and made my hood at also makes them. Their website is: www.autoformgroup.com
They have the NACA duct as well as the louvres found on the GTS Vipers. Tell them that you got their name from "John, used to work there, drives the Intrepid with the big fiberglass hood", they should know who you're talking about. Let me know if anyone is going to try this.
JT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts