DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can polishing be done with polishing compund, such as Turtle Wax and a Orbital polisher machine?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
virtueixi said:
I guess I'll just buy 1000 grit and use that. I'll have to polish it by hand. Is 150 really that rough? It felt kind of smooth. Can some one explain how the numbering system works? Is 1000 more fine or coarse that 150?
Bruce is right. The number represents the number of grains in one inch of sand-paper. A higher number means there is far more amount of grains, and also, the grains are smaller (and thus, won't scratch as deep). 150 will feel smooth, but you can still tell it's sandpaper. 800, 1000, 1200 feels like thick paper (well, this is slightly exaggerated, but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
qprint said:
Can polishing be done with polishing compund, such as Turtle Wax and a Orbital polisher machine?
i wouldnt bother. Do yourself the favor of getting a nice polishing compound made just for plastic.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stock04Intrepid said:
Bruce is right. The number represents the number of grains in one inch of sand-paper. A higher number means there is far more amount of grains, and also, the grains are smaller (and thus, won't scratch as deep). 150 will feel smooth, but you can still tell it's sandpaper. 800, 1000, 1200 feels like thick paper (well, this is slightly exaggerated, but you know what I mean).
Look at the date. :laughing: :banana: :bouncgrin :smilie_lo :gay:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
qprint said:
Is polishing done with Rubbing Compound or plain wax, or is there something special out there ?
I was at my local stealership the other day and they had a product there specifically for polishing plastics. It was made by Meguires if my memory hasn't failed me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Stock04Intrepid said:
So I went into a little more detail a month or so later..........
True, I now know the reasoning behind the numbers. :gross_07:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Meguiar's does make an excellent plastic polish. You can even use it by hand to get results.

Also, i see no one mentioned that the easiest place to find high-grit sandpapers is at an automotive place - I have 1000, 1500 and 2000 from Canadian Tire , but I bet autozone has some.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You're in for a lot of work. But do it. I got impatient and ruined mine. Bought aftermarket replacements because the genuine article was so expensive, even used. Bad idea. Light pattern? What light pattern? Two spots on the road. Aim them? Haven't been able to achieve anything yet that approaches satisfactory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is polishing done with Rubbing Compound or plain wax, or is there something special out there ?
There are spevial polishes for plastics normal polishing compound has waxes and stuff thats mot good for lights, it can make them haze up again quickly.
The plastic polishes are available even at walmart .

21 - 31 of 31 Posts