DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 dodge intrepid 2.7.I am having trouble getting straight answers to some issues I am experiencing, random misfires, the check engine light has been on since I bought the car in 2017 .occasional difficult pumping gas, now stalling when I accelerate maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 4 wks. I won't give up my intrepid I am loyal. the only things replaced: changed tires, starter, and a battery, brakes, and oil changes and tuneup over the last 4 yrs, p.s sometimes it feels like it's going to stall when I accelerate but I catch by mashing the gas and the car won't stall. WHY IS THE BATTERY IN THE WHEEL WELL????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Umm, this is kinda late but did you run obd 2 codes?

Check the ignition coil.

Check the fuel filter.

Check the injectors do a fuel pressure test.

All in all this could be a timing issue when's the last time you had a timing belt installed?

Run the codes give us feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm, this is kinda late but did you run obd 2 codes?

Check the ignition coil.

Check the fuel filter.

Check the injectors do a fuel pressure test.

All in all this could be a timing issue when's the last time you had a timing belt installed?

Run the codes give us feedback.
p0455,p1684

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0455, P1684, I have had the car for 3 yrs now bought in 2018 used. Very little has needed to be fixed. No timing belt installed. Just change one of the ignition coils, brand new battery, new spark plugs every 3 months I put a can of seafoam high mileage .every fill up, I put treatment for ethanol fuel get a lot of low-quality gas in Amarillo. Tx. a new starter last year,. It cleared up after the new battery install last week but lost power today during acceleration in a high traffic area, scared the life outta me cause I almost got hit cause it cut off in the middle of the intersection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Second code is for the battery losing nominal voltage at a given point within the last 50 starts. This could mean you disconnected the battery working on it, or that alternator is not charging the battery enough.

Use a multimeter and test the alternator.

The first code is your evap system. I don't know jack about that but you should obvi check it because it will hinder the engine in all kinds of ways.

Check and clean your grounds too.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
2.7 has timing chain.

1684 code may mean a problem, but it is thought that the trip threshold for that code is too high - that normal dips in system voltage (older-or-discharged-but-still-good battery (I know your battery is new) or slightly high resistance connection somewhere) may trigger it. Many on this forum have observed the 1684 code being active when there don't appear to be any issues with the battery/charging system. Doesn't mean that there isn't something going on that should trigger it. (I forget if total disconnect of battery will cause the code. I'm thinking that the computers know the difference between low system voltage and total disconnect, but I could be wrong. Reset codes with a reader and see if it comes back.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The second code is for the battery losing nominal voltage at a given point within the last 50 starts. This could mean you disconnected the battery working on it or that alternator is not charging the battery enough.

Use a multimeter and test the alternator.

The first code is your evap system. I don't know jack about that, but you should obvi check it because it will hinder the engine in all kinds of ways.

Check and clean your grounds too.
both of you are awesome thanks for the info ... I like that I can go to other dodge owners and mechanics and DIYers for help; after countless youtube I have a place to start the canister purge valve and the gas cap; I have an aftermarket gas cap and oil cap do you know where I can find the ones that go with my car because the others fit but don't fit a dodge intrepid gas cap is vented,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Peva, I'm speaking in First gen. I never looked at the guts of 2nd and 3rd.
both of you are awesome thanks for the info ... I like that I can go to other dodge owners and mechanics and DIYers for help after countless youtube I have a place to start the canister purge valve and the gas cap; I have an aftermarket gas cap and oil cap do you know where I can find the ones that go with my car because the others fit but don't fit a dodge intrepid gas cap is vented,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2.7 has timing chain.

1684 code may mean a problem, but it is thought that the trip threshold for that code is too high - that normal dips in system voltage (older-or-discharged-but-still-good battery (I know your battery is new) or slightly high resistance connection somewhere) may trigger it. Many on this forum have observed the 1684 code being active when there don't appear to be any issues with the battery/charging system. Doesn't mean that there isn't something going on that should trigger it. (I forget if total disconnect of battery will cause the code. I'm thinking that the computers know the difference between low system voltage and total disconnect, but I could be wrong. Reset codes with a reader and see if it comes back.)
both of you are awesome thanks for the info ... I like that I can go to other dodge owners and mechanics and DIYers for help after countless youtube I have a place to start the canister purge valve and the gas cap; I have an aftermarket gas cap and oil cap do you know where I can find the ones that go with my car because the others fit but don't fit a dodge intrepid gas cap is vented,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts